The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hiding the OF Window Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How about a setting to auto-hide the OF window after a certain amount of inactivity? This is available in iGTD and seemed to me a nice feature.

I don't see how it would be useful.

If I'm doing something, I will switch to the new application.
If I'm doing something not on my computer, I will want to see what's next when I'm done, without to have to show it back.

For me it seems it's just a feature similar to Office, just for the fun (I like fun) that only get in your way when trying to use the tool (I hate that).

Beside, if you only hide the window (and not the application), you will still have to switch by yourself.

Maybe I missed something. Peter, you said you use this. How, and why?

does that feature have anything to do with the IGTD feature to " stay on top " above other windows ? when I tried it , I defintely wanted it out of my way if I wasn't using it .

I would disable that feature immediately.

I need to have my list in view at all times. If I'm not reminded I have tasks to do, I'll forget about them completely.

In fact, one of the things I like best about OF is that I can resize the window to be fairly small and still meaningful. Other GTD programs I've tried have a large, unshrinkable window.

When Omni adds variable column widths (hint, hint) this will be even better.

--Liz

Last edited by LizPf; 2007-09-21 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: remove unnecessary quote

I agree, I do the same thing , resize the list and keep it in sight .
The only reason IGTD has the hide feature is because of it's option to keep it on top of all other windows .. which then made it hard to work [easily ] in any other programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterNSteinmetz View Post
How about a setting to auto-hide the OF window after a certain amount of inactivity?
Might I suggest Spirited Away? It's freeware that auto-hides idle applications, and it lets you decide which applications should auto-hide and how quickly.

(If auto-hiding is a behavior you like, I would think you'd want it applied to a number of your applications rather than just to OmniFocus. Although you can tell Spirited Away to just auto-hide OmniFocus if that's all you want.)