The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

New toolbar icons Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
and know that basically that issue isn't going to get solved because very few people are going to find it, and even fewer people are going to try and recreate it and even fewer people are going to bother to take the time to tell you about it.
That's the very definition of a "low-priority bug".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
That's the very definition of a "low-priority bug".
I disagree. Just because a bug is hard for users to isolate and report should have no bearing on the bug's priority. What's the symptom of the bug I was referring to? OW wont quit without being force quit.

You thinking that because a bug is hard for a user to isolate means it's low-priority goes right up there with thinking that graphical tabs are pointless.

I'm just wondering about the icon discussion. Does the omnigroup don't have enough money to hire a professional icon designer? What about corporate design and reusing all the icons also in the other programs?

@Omnigroup:

If you have problems to find a good icon designer. Look at the macthemes forums:

http://macthemes2.net/forum/

There are a lot good guys hanging around.

Cheers and hopefully soon we've see shiny brand new icons in OW. The current 5.7 sneaky beta ones are just, let's say ordinary.

Quote:
You thinking that because a bug is hard for a user to isolate means it's low-priority goes right up there with thinking that graphical tabs are pointless
I didn't mean the bug wasn't serious, since it obviously is. I meant that it only happens in isolated instances, instances that apparently don't happen often for most people.

I've worked in software development. In a perfect world, you'd get every possible bug nailed. In reality, with costs and deadlines factored in, you still try to catch and nail them all, but if something only affects users when they perform an uncommon series of events, it might have to go to the end of the list.

I don't mean to belittle your frustration -- been there -- but it seems that most users, in their daily use of OW, haven't been hit with those same bugs. You are obviously a power user, who uses a lot of the arcane features of the app. I meant that the first priority is usually to nail the most bugs that affect the most users, then you go for 100%.

I hear ya, Handycam. I think the source of my frustration is that I started using OW when what set it apart was the seamless integration of those "arcane" features. Now it appears to be shifting to be just another browser, with the same features as other options but for a $15 charge for the handful of different ones (that are usually broken.)

I still use 5.1 when I want to use those features, and often just use other browsers to surf.

Edit: I've mentioned to them before I could see two versions of OW. Basically one for each way "speed" is defined. One for people who just want pages to load fast, and one packed full of features that make web browsing and debugging easier.

Last edited by Forrest; 2007-12-05 at 03:32 PM..

Yes, it would be awesome if OW could be the killer web development tool. I hate having to use FF, but I do at work for Firebug, Web Developer Toolbar, MeaureIt, and ColorPicker.

Now, if OW was more of a tool for web designers... Perhaps something like including the functionality of XyleScope in the browser UI? I know we have the WebKit Inspector, and I've used it, but it's still no Firebug.

You're right, why not offer OW and OW Pro, like they do with Graffle?

I've downloaded and have been using OmniWeb v. 5.7 Sneaky Peek 1 (v615.0.95737) and have noticed that the Show History toolbar icon has changed to that of a calendar. Some other more subtle and color-oriented toolbar icon changes have been added as well such as the Show Bookmarks and Show Tabs toolbar icons. However, these icon changes haven't been updated in the Preferences pane. I don't know if this is intended, or if the icons are still undergoing changes and they haven't bothered to implement them in the Preferences window. But, I thought I'd mention it in the slim chance it's gone unnoticed.

I'd also like to add my opinion, which has already been mentioned several times within this thread, that the Favorites Bar still maintains the OS X v. 10.4.x background window color and really clashes with the toolbar in Leopard.

Lastly, I'm not a huge fan of OmniWeb's icon set (purple? yuck), and would add my voice to some of the others here that the icons are rather plain and if anything detract from an aesthetically pleasing user interface. I would suggest an icon overhaul perhaps for a 6.0 release. Just my two cents...

I concur -- these icons are terrible. Hire Jon Hicks and get it done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoreUFO View Post
I concur -- these icons are terrible. Hire Jon Hicks and get it done right.
Indeed. I've gone back to using Jon's excellent icon set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
Indeed. I've gone back to using Jon's excellent icon set.
Hi, excuse my ignorance, but i am using sneaky peak 95737 but prefer the old style icons. Is it possible to change icons and if so how. Thanks.