The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: what is your experience, is omnifocus slow?
yes 6 25.00%
no 18 75.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Omnifocus is slow, very slow. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a fairly small database, ~75 projects w/~450 actions, but I'm also on an ancient PowerBook G4, 1.5 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM. I can switch from the entire library of projects to context mode in about 1 second, switching back is about 1.5 second. Switching from perspective to perspective in the same window where the entire library is not displayed is almost instant. Perspectives that open in their own window take longer, perhaps two, three seconds tops. I'm using the 1.8SP releases.

any one knows where 1.8 will be released?

It sounds like OF 1.8 will be the next thing out the door. Bug fixes for the iPhone and iPad apps are awaiting approval from Apple, so the development fire power is trained squarely on OF for Mac 1.8 now. That's not a specific answer, but it seems like "soon" is a good guess.

Curt

A little better, but still slow.

I'm running OF 1.8.1 on an iMac 2.16 GHz Intel processor w/2 GB memory sync to OF on a iPod Touch 32GB 4th Generation.

Currently have 673 projects & 1709 actions as reported on the iPod. (No way to easily count them on the mac side)

Switch between perspectives on the mac takes less than a second for most of them and the longest one takes less than 2 seconds to switch.

I don't consider that particularly slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogiem View Post
(No way to easily count them on the mac side)
Perhaps we have differing ideas about easy, but the following script gives quite a bit of detail without much effort!

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=18405

Easy is built in to the app just select the info section and all the data is there :-)

But that script is also fast, just I hate having to do scripting stuff for what I think ought to be included in the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogiem View Post
Easy is built in to the app just select the info section and all the data is there :-)

But that script is also fast, just I hate having to do scripting stuff for what I think ought to be included in the app.
Does built in to the system you're running count? In the Terminal app:

sqlite3 ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase2 'select count(*) from Task;'

gets you the count of actions + action groups + projects

ls -l ~/Library/Application\ Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus | wc -l

gets you the zip file count. If you have some strongly felt reason not to install the script, there you go.

You can install that script as a toolbar button, and the resulting ease of use leads me to wonder if it really makes any substantive difference if it was coded by someone at Omni or not...sure, they could code it up, but do you really want them spending their time on something you can do yourself, or something you can't? After all, those numbers have very little to do with actually getting things done! If you do care about such numbers, it strikes me as exceedingly unlikely that you'll get a similarly comprehensive set built into the UI, with the resultant need to document what they all mean.

Well on the Ipod/iPhone app there is basic info provided very simply. That's what I would hope was in the Mac version too.

The above posts focus on the speed of OmniFocus when changing perspectives. My complaint is that it's slow when quitting. I just timed it at 25 seconds! Doesn't seem to me that it should take that long.

I've used the archive function and a pretty small database (only 327 tasks by the query given in one of the recent posts).

Anyone else observe this?