The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Seems expensive versus alternatives...? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have to admit, I'm ever on the search for the best task managment app, but nothing is as good as OF.
The price, eh.. what's 20 bucks. And I do agree, I have probably wasted more then 20 combined on cheaper apps that aren't as good. They are all now sitting on my last apps page of my iphone, just wasting space.
I'm glad I finally found OF.
I just wish I had a desktop version of it. I'm not a mac user, so everything is on my iphone.
Todo wasn't bad, but for me it was missing the locations ability to see where I am and whats around me.
Reqall is pretty good too, App is free but the pro version costs 24/year. Again not much in my eyes, but it lacked projects. It was also a bit hard to get the lingo right. I tested a few times giving the same command in just saying it a bit different, or typing it different and then mainually putting the times for alerts in and got all different results for the same thing. so that one was hard for me to remember how to say or type anythig right to get what I needed.
I give OF a high rating and think it's worth it.
My 2 cents, or 20 bucks...
Christine

oh I forgot to mention one thing about reqall, I had major battery drain. OF doesn't seem to drain my battery as bad. I tried all the suggestions by reqall, but it seemed to me that I was turning everything off that was one of the reasons I bought the iphone.

Last edited by trulyshy; 2009-09-17 at 09:04 AM..

It's a shame really that Apple don't allow trial periods for the more expensive apps on the iPhone.

Like most people getting a new iPhone the first thing I needed to find was a good task manager. The first one I thought would be great was Omnifocus, but I looked at the price (having just bought the iPhone and feeling very poor) and at the time only having a PC, I decided to try some of the others, starting with the free ones.

The free ones were great - for someone who has 3 tasks a week.
Then I went for the least expensive and worked my way up.

Eventually, in frustration I bit the bullet and bought Omnifocus. Oh, what a relief. It actually made sense, it was logical, it didn't let me down, and I didn't have to worry any more. As long as I put everything in, and did my reviews, it was all like magic.

I wanted to follow (loosely) the GTD method, and this worked, I wanted there to be a backup somewhere 'just in case'. I wanted to be able to put things in on the laptop (had by now been given someone's cast off mac).

In retrospect, if only I had followed my first instinct, it would have saved me a lot of money and stress. But obviously, that's a calculation that you'll have to make for yourself.

The only thing missing is that I can't work with Omnifocus easily at work (all PCs). I'm getting used to working from my iPhone at work, but it's never going to be as successful. The landscape option does help with this.

Maybe one day...

My tuppence worth:

Having tried just the iPhone version of Things, the only real GTD competitor on the Mac desktop, all I can say is that their iPhone app completely stinks. It is crippleware compared to OmniFocus: it has been out for well over a year (2 years?) and gone through several updates since version 3.0 of the iPhone OS came out yet it still doesn't have any way of adding recurring tasks, no OTA backup to a server (you must have the desktop version to synch/backup your data and even then it is only via your LAN and Wi-Fi), has a truly despicable UI for generating 'tags' for your tasks, a truly awful UI for viewing what tasks have what tags, and absolutely no notification scheme whatsoever. It was bad enough that it took so long for OmniFocus on the iPhone to gain the ability to add recurring tasks, but at least you could add contexts etc. with ease and use OTA synching if you wanted to. Worse yet the developers, CulturedCode, removed their own support forums from their site so you couldn't [edit: they are now back but they were AWOL for months] even get tips and hints from fellow users or the developers.

It might be cheaper and 'prettier' but it is an absolutely terrible iPhone application. Consequently, I have been put off trying it out with the desktop app as I simply do not want to have (a) pay lots of money for it and (b) be reliant on the desktop version to achieve many basic tasks.

So far it has been £6 very much wasted on Things iPhone and £12 incredibly well spent on OmniFocus iPhone.

Last edited by JKT; 2009-09-18 at 12:05 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
I've been on the Mac forever, but I can say that the most important factor in my decision to buy an iPhone was the ability to use OmniFocus on the go.
Me too. I spent a few hundred bucks on Omnifocus ;)