The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workflow for creating a new project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This might be a use-case problem on my part, but I'm running into an awkward workflow.

- Start in projects view, filtered by 'available'.

- Shift-Command-N to create a new project.

- Press enter to create a new task, try to type description.

- Nothing seems to happen.

- Change filter to 'all', and I see that I've created an empty task.

I was hoping to create a new project that way, and then create a new task for it. I realize 'available' would only show the first one by default, as the next action.

Should I be creating the items in the inbox instead? That feels a little less intuitive, but I could probably get used to it.

Another method is to use Quick Entry, but that has a quirk too:

- Quick Entry new task, create new project 'foo'

- Project is created, task is created, but the task is in the inbox, not in the project.

Am I missing a critical insight into the canonical GTD workflow?

this is somewhat relevant, from the 5/22 message of the day:

The default action filter is now "remaining" rather than "next", which hopefully will reduce some confusion about not being able to create new actions outside of the inbox (since the new actions would immediately disappear, not being next actions). We're also working on not applying the current filter until you clean up, which will let you add new actions even when filtering by next actions. (The planned change will also let you add new actions in Context view.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
this is somewhat relevant, from the 5/22 message of the day:

The default action filter is now "remaining" rather than "next", which hopefully will reduce some confusion about not being able to create new actions outside of the inbox (since the new actions would immediately disappear, not being next actions). We're also working on not applying the current filter until you clean up, which will let you add new actions even when filtering by next actions. (The planned change will also let you add new actions in Context view.)
I think the planned change--not applying the current filter until Clean Up--is a great idea, for this very reason, as well as because I like to see tasks that I have finished turn gray and be struck through.