The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quick beginner's guide to Quicksilver & Omnifocus please? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

I have moved from iGTD to Omnifocus. Find it much clearer and in line with GTD...

One thing I love though on iGTD is the ability to create actions related to emails, files by just pressing the F6 button. My understanding is that this is also available with OF (through Quicksilver). But it looks unclear and patchy to me how to do that.

Could anyone summurise how to set up the whole thing? I saw that there was already a OF script with the QS I installed but I don't even know what it does and how to use it...

Thanks in advance!

Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by esciara View Post
Hi there,

I have moved from iGTD to Omnifocus. Find it much clearer and in line with GTD...

One thing I love though on iGTD is the ability to create actions related to emails, files by just pressing the F6 button. My understanding is that this is also available with OF (through Quicksilver). But it looks unclear and patchy to me how to do that.

Could anyone summurise how to set up the whole thing? I saw that there was already a OF script with the QS I installed but I don't even know what it does and how to use it...

Thanks in advance!

Em
As I understand it, the included Quicksilver script is just for entering actions into OF, not for linking files or email. I'm running Butler currently (about to make my annual switch back to Quicksilver), so I may be slightly off here. Someone will chime in to correct me if so...

As I understand it, you trigger the Quicksilver hotkey, hit the apostrophe key to enter text mode, enter your action description, then hit tab and choose to send it to OF.

I have a script that lets you create a new OF action from a selected email in Mail.app. You can download the script from my software downloads page.

Curt

The Send to OmniFocus Quicksilver action isn't very well documented yet. You can find the script in your ~/Library/Application Support/Quicksilver/Actions folder. If you open it in Script Editor you'll see a bit of documentation in the code, although if you look at the code and/or try it you'll notice that some of the features aren't implemented yet.

Basically, you invoke Quicksilver (Crtl-Space by default). Type "." (period). Type a title for your action. Tab. Select the "Send to OmniFocus" action. The action will land in your Inbox.

You can also append "> Project" and/or "@ Context" to the action title. For example: "Buy giant lazer > take over the world @ errands" (And you don't have to type out the whole project or context name). The action will appear in the proper place rather than the Inbox.

BTW, I have a "Command Window with Selection" trigger set in QS, so I can just highlight some text, hit Ctrl-Option-rightarrow, type STO Enter and it's done.

To make it even better, you could setup a Quicksilver Trigger to perform that action on a specific keypress or mouse-move:

Current Selection -> OmniFocus: Send to Inbox

It must be me, but how do you go from the script to the action being available in QS?

edit Never mind, relaunching quicksilver does the trick...

Last edited by Jeroen; 2007-11-27 at 03:29 AM..

I am trying to write a quicksilver trigger that takes highlighted text (in this case, the subject matter of an open email) and sends it to OF. I plan to use this to create a "waiting for" next action. I can send text to OF using quicksilver, but I have to type it and I would rather have it grab the subject line that I highlight.

I have been googling this for an hour and have given up.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Just realized that I had not enabled the current selection proxy. Did it, restarted QS, and wrote the trigger which works like a charm. Now I can highlight the subject of an email I am about to send, hit control W, and it will appear in my inbox where I can assign it to a waiting for context etc.

Two great apps!

Last edited by thr61; 2008-03-20 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: Found answer

I just downloaded and installed Quicksilver so I can get clipping in Firefox, but when I look at the actions in Quicksilver there is no Send to Omnifocus or any other OF action. How do I get those scripts into Quicksilver. Thanks for any help you can provide to a newbie. John