The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

GTD: OmniFocus as Reference Library Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I used to use OmniFocus as my reference library, but no longer do so. While it is easy to get things in, I found that it was not always easy to do something useful with all of it. I still use OmniFocus as my main inbox, unless I am at the Mac and have an item which will be reference material. In that case, I may put it directly in DevonThink and add the item link to OmniFocus rather than making yet another task to be done later (one could think of this as a variation of the 2 minute rule — it takes less than 2 minutes, even if I have to launch all the software, but if I have a big pile of these in the inbox to deal with, I'll have to stop and devote a chunk of time to processing/filing).

I prefer to attach reference material to either the project or the action which needs it; having "actions" which do nothing but carry reference material makes for a messy project.

DevonThink is better thought of as a smart filing cabinet than as a GTD task manager. No doubt there are some features that have been added that might tempt someone determined to have one tool that "does it all" but while it makes a much better place to store reference material, I've never felt the slightest desire to move the projects out of OmniFocus! If a natural workflow would be to print out task lists and store them in a physical filing cabinet, then perhaps such a person would be happy using DevonThink for the whole job. I'm not that guy :-)

Other thing perhaps, weekly review...
I do it on Ipad, first issue, I can't open mails if they attached to "action", that solved somehow if quote meaning part. But I feel that review not effective If I don't see the resources for the project...

Is Devon's links handled right or you have to switch applications?

And other question I use MTags on my mac, so doing review on iPad, I can't use ordered by tag mails to see material related to the project because of lack Mail.app functionality on iPad and iPhone or missed Mtag support of these platforms. IIUC Devon provides good some archiving functionality for mail, is it functionality accessible on iPhone/iPad versions of Devon?