The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Strange Passwd dialog displays randomly Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there, i have an issue where if OW is left open for some period of time which is undetermined i get this strange password required dialog box usually of some domain which has no reference to ANY web page i have loaded in a tab.

I shall attach one of these images perhaps someone knows anything about this strange behavior.

Best
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OW-This Page Passwd.png
Views:	551
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	133  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayon
usually of some domain which has no reference to ANY web page i have loaded in a tab.
How are you determining that? Did you dig through the source of every open page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
How are you determining that? Did you dig through the source of every open page?
My observation is based on the notion that none of the web sites id had open in the current session were Australian. The sites were US based. If you notice the dialog is an education au host.

Last edited by Drayon; 2006-12-02 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: missing info

Right, but unless you viewed the source on every page and every linked file, it's tough to make that call.

Chances are an image or other file that's built into one of the pages is hosted on that edu site and the user has setup htaccess there. When the page loads, the password prompt displays. It could also be a page where images are swapped in and out after the page loads. One of the images is on that server, and so the password prompt displays when that image is loaded and well after the page has loaded.

Still this is a very strange, for one, the browser can be completely idle for 10 mins and these dialogs show up from no activity, and two i visit the similar pages in any other browser and ive NEVER seen these dialogs pop up.

I can understand if i load a page which requires this type of access but as i say this is NOT the case here, these dialogs are completely random popping up from nowhere not after i've loaded a new page. I've used the 3 w's long enough to determine the difference between a page which requires login access and some phantom freaky behavior which im seeing here :confused: :eek: Little green men in this browser me thinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayon
Still this is a very strange, for one, the browser can be completely idle for 10 mins and these dialogs show up from no activity, and two i visit the similar pages in any other browser and ive NEVER seen these dialogs pop up.
Great, a page could be set to load the problem image 10 minutes after you first go to the site. Or there could be a meta refresh. Tons and tons of possibilities.

Quote:
I can understand if i load a page which requires this type of access but as i say this is NOT the case here,
Unless you've gone through every line of code in all the windows, every nested file, every file that loads on a timer (and if there's ajax or flash involved you probably wont be able to get all of them) you can't say that for sure.

Quote:
I've used the 3 w's long enough to determine the difference between a page which requires login access and some phantom freaky behavior which im seeing here :confused: :eek: Little green men in this browser me thinks
Well, I'm going to post an example with this post. Now imagine I had full control over this site, and this was done on a timer.

[img]http://client.giraffedesign.com/omni/test/omnilogolarge.gif[img]

Last edited by Forrest; 2006-12-04 at 10:45 AM..