The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exporting Date (etc.) data from OF Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Within the next 3-8 months or so, I'd like to be able to export data from OF so I can have a report of Actions that meet some criteria, like a list of completed Actions that occured within a specific date range (to show to others). And do other similar reports, using start dates, etc., etc. The filtering could perhaps happen in an AppleScript, or else I could take all the Actions and sort in another app.

Before I go too far with scripting, I should ask if something like this is possible now with OF without scripting, or if that is likely to occur in the next 3-8 months.

Apologies for my naivety about OF; I haven't gone through its Dictionary yet, but figured some of what I'm after might already be out there. Thanks.

Bob

Hello,

Maybe you could be a bit more specific about your needs and your final goal.
The more you can tell, the more specific we can help.

Just a perspective with the right settings might be enough. To share to other, you could just print it as a pdf.

Maybe you need something more granular?

The OF Applescript dictionary is very good, and with enough time and motivation, you can get OF to do what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
Maybe you could be a bit more specific about your needs and your final goal.
WHAT: To export data from OF into a text file (tab/return delimited, that kind of thing) that A1) allows me to filter the export based on specific criteria, such as completed Actions that occurred within a specific date range, or at least A2) export all Actions with all their properties (all the data that you see in Inspector).

WHY: Once I have that data, I can further process (sort/filter, etc. as necessary) it and create a report for someone to see, for example, how my important projects are adversely impacted by work that I've been asked to put on the top of my list by my boss. And when such work comes in, I can create a report that shows him what my projects are, with summations of estimated time, and then say "Which of these do you not want me to do in order to accomplish x?". I can get part of the way with print to PDF, but B1) need to further process the data (estimate time summation for projects, for example); B2) (and this isn't necessarily logical, but is a fact in my case) the other person is a Windows user and likes to see things in Excel or Word.

I can figure out how to structure such a report; I just need an export mechanism from OF, and before I start from scratch with AppleScript, I wanted to find out if C1) such an export mechanism might be in the works from an OF menu item (export all the data, or a user-selectable subset), and C2) if I go the AppleScript route, if anyone has anything to share that is along these lines.

Bob

I can't respond about the part wether it will be built in or not.

You can have a look at Curt's scripts. They provide a nice base to parse the actions, and act on them.

Let us know how it goes.

The attached illustrative draft creates a tab-delimited text file (on the Desktop). You should be able to control-click it and choose to open it with Excel. (Or use a Quicksilver "Open With" action).

If you save it as an .XLS file, you will then be able to open the latter in Filemaker. (Trying to open the text file directly in Filemaker will lead to problems with any task names that span several lines).

This draft gives a path number to each task (to represent the nesting) and adds the main dates and other properties after the task name. It should not be too difficult to add further task properties by inspecting and extending the code.

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-07-05 at 07:46 AM..

Lutin, thanks for the links.

Rob, that is awesome, thanks so much!

Bob