The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thoughts / Questions (post-purchase) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Alright, took the plunge last night and started working through a diagram on the train coming in. I have a few thoughts/questions so far.

One thing that was cool was that I was able to easily email a previous desktop diagram to edit and view. Editing was a bit slow, but worked.

Questions:
- How do I label a line? Double tapping adds a midpoint, holding lets me select, copy, drag, etc. Even when I think I've added a label, I've only put text near the line.
- How can I select text within a shape to copy, cut, etc.? The select all, even when in typing mode, selects all the shapes.
- How do you use tables, and some of the more advanced features?

Bugs:
- Often when labeling a shape, or typing, the keyboard covers over what I'm typing. In fact, if working on the lower part of the diagram, this always seems to happen.

Wishes:
- Would love Dropbox support. Emailing back and forth isn't great, nor depending on syncing with just one machine via iTunes. (My iPad synced to home computer, not work computer, so sharing work documents is a pain)
- Text handling seems light. I'd love to be able to have a mini-outline mode to allow diagramming in meetings, with some note taking.
- Allow for a border in the canvas. I'd like to have a nice border of work space around my diagram when working. The auto size option works okay, but I'm not a fan of shapes right against the edge.

Last edited by sw001; 2010-04-06 at 05:20 AM..

There are other folks on the team who can answer more of these questions than I can, but I'll do what I can. :-)

(If you email the support ninjas, you're guaranteed a response from the most knowledgeable folks, btw.)

If a line is selected, double-tapping adds a midpoint. If the line isn't selected, you will get a label that's close to the line, but not attached.

To attach the shape, drag it to the line, then tap the line with another finger. It's currently somewhat hard to do this, because the iPad simulator didn't support multi-touch. Revising actions like this is one of the things we're working on now that we have access to actual iPads.

To select text within a label, select the it with a single-tap, then double-tap. Once the keyboard slides out, the context menu will apply to the text in the label, rather than the object itself.

The app tries to move the selection out from under the keyboard, but there are apparently edge cases we're missing; Screenshots and/or sample documents sent to the support ninjas would be really helpful in getting that fixed. (Screenshots on the iPad work the same as the iPhone - press the power and home buttons simultaneously to add them to the Photos app.)

Hope this helps! Thanks for purchasing - we really appreciate your support!