The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

keystroke for deleting checked entries? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey everyone...I got OmniOutliner 3.6.2 Standard bundled when I bought my Mac Mini. I've decided to use it to manage my to-do lists. I've got a question that I couldn't find answered in the software's documentation or by doing a Google search.

Suppose I've created a ten item to-do list and have spurned David Allen's advice to complete the tasks in order. I just finished the second, fifth, and ninth tasks on the list, and clicked the checkbox associated with each.

Is there a keystroke I can use that will automatically delete all entries that have their checkboxes marked? Note that I don't have any interest in preserving records of completed tasks, so I want these checked entries deleted and not merely hidden.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

I don't think there's a keybaord shortcut for this, but it should be possible to write a short AppleScript that does this. Then that could be added to your toolbar. Maybe almost as convenient (once you've got the script) as a keyboard shortcut?

Has somebody already written a script for this?

Here's a script to do that, it's as basic as can be so let me know if it does something it shouldn't.
Attached Files
File Type: zip delete checked.scpt.zip (1.3 KB, 442 views)

Derek, thanks for the script. Boy, this has been extremely frustrating. There don't seem to be any script installation instructions in OmniOutliner's online instructions. I've searched the 'net and found two places people say to put scripts for OmniOutliner standard:

~/Library/Application Support/OmniOutliner/Scripts/

~/Library/Scripts/Applications/Omnioutliner

So I created those folders and put the script there but even after rebooting, Derek's script does not show up on my OmniOutliner toolbar.

May I suggest to someone on the OmniOutliner team that Derek's script's functionality be incorporated within a future release of OmniOutliner, and accessible through a keystroke? I think this would be an important feature for anyone using the software to manage to-do lists.

It won't automatically show on the toolbar. It will show in the 'Customize Toolbar...' pane and then you can drag it up to where you want on the toolbar. (Right-click on the toolbar and choose 'Customize Toolbar...' to open that pane.)

Took me five seconds to do this, and now the script works beautifully. I still hope the Outliner team at Omni Group decides to build this keystroke function into a future release.

Erik