The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

More powerful search in omnifocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello everyone, would be possible to have a more powerful search spotlight style in omnifocus. Sometimes I left notes on my done actions and would like to be able to easily access to them via a simple search. Would be great if that search is also performed on your omnifocus archive file as well, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by javito View Post
Sometimes I left notes on my done actions and would like to be able to easily access to them via a simple search.
This can already be done. You just need to keep in mind that OmniFocus searches only what is currently visible. So if you're not in a perspective that shows completed items, they won't be included in your search results.

To search your entire database, select the All Items option from the Perspectives menu. Then conduct your search as you normally would. Note that this does not include archived items, since that is a separate database.

But I agree that there's room for improvement in searching OmniFocus:
  1. Most of all, I'm hoping for some performance improvements when searching large databases. I have about 2,800 actions in my database and it's a bit sluggish when searching the whole thing. It's still quite usable, but I want it to be as snappy and quick as it is when searching smaller subsets of my data.

2. It'd be nice to have an easier way to specify whether you want to search the entire database or just the current view. The Omni Group has previously mentioned that they're planning to provide this, but I'm not sure when or what form it will take.

3. Boolean operators would be nice. The Omni Group has hinted that this will likely come in OmniFocus 2 along with smart folders.

-Dennis

You can also search OmniFocus using Spotlight, from Spotlight.

Thanks, I know that but my issue is related with all those small bits of information (phone number I write down next to an item, measurements on the note filed) that is someway are lost in a huge archive of done actions. A way to select between searching on the current view and across the whole database (archive file included) would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

How do I search in OmniFocus for multiple keywords?

For instance "@keyword1 OR @keyword2"

You can save a re-usable search like:
tasks where name contains <txt> or name contains <txt2>
in the main menu of Where in OF.

(You will be prompted for the values of <txt>, <txt2> whenever you click on that search).

Boolean searches are not a built-in feature of the current release of OmniFocus.

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-07-17 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: Updated link to Where in OF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
You can save a re-usable search like:
tasks where name contains <txt> or name contains <txt2>
in the main menu of Where in OF.

(You will be prompted for the values of <txt>, <txt2> whenever you click on that search).

Boolean searches are not a built-in feature of the current release of OmniFocus.

--
Can I use this with perspectives?

Where in OF creates a view focused only on those projects which contain matches for your boolean search, and highlights the matching tasks.

The current version of OmniFocus does not, however, offer boolean searches as part of the definition of a perspective.

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-07-17 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: Updated link to Where in OF

Quote:
Originally Posted by javito View Post
Hello everyone, would be possible to have a more powerful search spotlight style in omnifocus. Sometimes I left notes on my done actions and would like to be able to easily access to them via a simple search. Would be great if that search is also performed on your omnifocus archive file as well, thanks!
I second this! And I have also feedbacked Omni about it.

It constantly drives me nuts to find things that I KNOW exists in OF!
But since projects are paused, not visible, not among all the choosen ones, etc etc, I spend a LOT of time finding my entries!

Example; Just looked for one of my house projects, called "Garage" (yes, it's the same in swedish as in english). Couldn't find it with search. Opened my House folder and there it was - visible for the naked eye. It was paused, and maybe that's why OF couldn't find it...? I don't know.

A search should present a list with active, remaining, paused etc, projects and actions. NO MATTER WHAT!!!

Sorry I yelled. I love OF, but hate the so called "search"... :-/

The built-in search finds projects on hold just fine. However, the thing you are searching for must be in the current view! If you were only showing active projects, for example, the search would fail. Or if you had selected a different folder in the sidebar, the search would fail.

If your search fails, bring up the All Items perspective and try it again. I suspect the number of times an OmniFocus search actually fails due to program error is close to 0 — user error is a different story. The fact that so many people complain about it and are tripped up by it suggests a better UI design would be a welcome improvement, though!