The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to sort daily to do lists from "big list" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
I don't care about GTD doctrine. I need priorities which is how I shrink the big list down to Today's list.
Even though you can use OmniFocus outside of a GTD system, the application was clearly designed with GTD in mind. And even a basic understanding of "GTD doctrine" will go a long way in helping a user get the most out of OmniFocus. In fact, you may find that you no longer need explicit priorities once you start to "get" GTD.

Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means a GTD guru or zealot. But on the point of priorities, I think they're unnecessary as an explicit setting in OmniFocus, as long you're taking full advantage of the app's capabilities (contexts, focus, perspectives, flags, and state). Using the tools that already exist, I rarely have a list of more than 5-10 actions to choose from at any given time. With a list that short, deciding priority based entirely on intuition at the spur of the moment becomes quite easy. I think that's exactly the approach David Allen is encouraging in his book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Just put them into OF and default them as null. If somebody doesn't want to use them, they don't have to use them.
It's not as simple as that. Adding any new feature to OmniFocus requires engineering resources, and in this case, I think those resources would be better spent elsewhere. Adding features also increases the risk of regressions and system complexity, so the decision should not be made lightly. It's not as simple as, "Hey, if you don't like 'em, just don't use 'em!"

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-03-19 at 09:28 AM..