The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

help with keynote export Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In an old review for OO on MacDevCenter and a few other places, they show a Keynote export icon in Preferences, has that been removed? I don't see it. (I'm running OO Pro 3.6)

I'm trying to export an outline into Keynote, I have a Level 1 title, with several Level 2 subtitles and then children under those (I assume I should be able to get all of this into Keynote and then change the level of hierarchy if necessary). I tried selecting the top level in the left pane, and then the Level 1 title, but either way it seems to be exporting only my first Level 2 subtitle and its children. Hopefully that makes sense, any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH
In an old review for OO on MacDevCenter and a few other places, they show a Keynote export icon in Preferences, has that been removed? I don't see it. (I'm running OO Pro 3.6)

I'm trying to export an outline into Keynote, I have a Level 1 title, with several Level 2 subtitles and then children under those (I assume I should be able to get all of this into Keynote and then change the level of hierarchy if necessary). I tried selecting the top level in the left pane, and then the Level 1 title, but either way it seems to be exporting only my first Level 2 subtitle and its children. Hopefully that makes sense, any idea what I might be doing wrong?
We've chosen to simplify our Keynote export system and that meant removing the ability to select your theme before you exported. Now OmniOutliner exports your data to a plain Keynote 1 file and so you'll need to select your theme once it's opened in Keynote.

We did this to try and future-proof our Keynote export system instead of trying to keep playing catchup with Apple and their ever-changing never-documented Keynote file format.

I deleted my previous post. I realized that you need different Level 1 rows for each slide, and I could just outdent my rows to get that.

I'm still trying to figure out how much it makes sense to do some outlining in OO that will become a Keynote presentation, or to do more of it in Keynote itself.

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out how much it makes sense to do some outlining in OO that will become a Keynote presentation, or to do more of it in Keynote itself.
I do this all the time. If you are going to want to re-purpose the content of the presentation, it makes much more sense to put it all together in OO, as you have much better export options.
Unless I am really pushed for time, I prepare all my lectures in OO, which I then export to Keynote, set the theme and do any necessary tweaking. I also export the contents to RTF which I can then edit in Nisus Writer Express as necessary before dropping it into InDesign to produce a printable version.
If you go straight into Keynote, the only text export format that you have is PDF and what you get is every slide as a separate page, or a number of slide thumbnails on a page. If you want to repurpose it, you need to extract the text from that into an editable format like RTF, ... much more laborious.

Mark

Do you ever run into problems where all your content won't fit on a slide and it cuts off when exporting? I guess you can just go back and compare your slides to your outline in OO, but I'm wondering if it may be better to compose in Keynote for that reason (as you said, maybe not if you need it for other purposes).

Of course, I shouldn't be trying to cram too much text onto one slide, but in some cases you might be going slightly over. Doing it in Keynote might save some work in getting your slides ready, but I do like having the whole outline to work with in OO.

Quote:
Do you ever run into problems where all your content won't fit on a slide and it cuts off when exporting? I guess you can just go back and compare your slides to your outline in OO, but I'm wondering if it may be better to compose in Keynote for that reason (as you said, maybe not if you need it for other purposes).

Of course, I shouldn't be trying to cram too much text onto one slide, but in some cases you might be going slightly over. Doing it in Keynote might save some work in getting your slides ready, but I do like having the whole outline to work with in OO.
Yes, sometimes. What I do is put the cursor at a suitable point, do a <shift-cmd-downarrow> to highlight to the end of the overflow, cut that, insert a new slide after the current one and then paste the text into that, which will have the same master as the one above it. Type the title in again if necessary.
You're right, one shouldn't be cramming too much in ... but if you are putting up a quote from some source, for instance, it can go a bit over. If it's only a little over, I'll try reducing the size of the text on that slide by a point.
Mark