The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reviews (quick, long) Post Here Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ok... I am a long time OF user (back since Kinkless was around).

Loves:
- Synching. Yes, I know it is in all of them, but it is a killer feature, still.
- Quick entry box. Nice and big and next to my finger.
- Forecast. Great way of viewing what is on tap.

- Review. A good start, but only goes through projects needing review which is 1/10th of my review
- Map. Like the function, just never use it much.
- Sidebar settings. You can change the order.
- Look and feel. Most of it is pretty good. Animations are nice.
- Folder view on the side bar.

Meh:
- Speed. It is a little pokey. Clicking a task takes 1-2 seconds to disappear. Some views take longer.
- Crashes. 2 in first 20 minutes. Hope 1.01 is on the way.
- Look and feel 2. Seems like a lot of wasted "black" space.
- Price. Knew it would be $40 but still think it is $10 high.

Dislikes:
- Views. Not sure why OG still consider a "PENDING" project as "REMAINING" I don't want to see pending projects until they are active. (same thing in iPhone).
- Look and feel 3. Folders just look strange.

That is my first 30 minutes with it. :)

BZ

Well, after 30 minutes poking about myself I'm quite pleased. I agree with other users who've found everything a bit "too big" in the list view, but hopefully there'll be an option to customise font sizes in a future release.

I wasn't sure about the sidebar first of all, but that's grown on me already. I love the forecast and review features. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to reviews, but I've just done my first on the iPad and it was a positive pleasure! Will be doing my reviews on here rather than the desktop in future.

No crashes at all for me so far.

One thing I'm missing, but it may be just me not seeing it... I make regular use of the Due Soon and Overdue views in the iPhone version. I can't find a good way of just viewing my tasks that are "Due Soon" on the iPad version. Is there any way to do that?

Overall, a thumbs up from me so far!

Very quick first impressions:

Way too much wasted space, the nested tree views could have much narrower rows and fit twice as much info on screen easily. Makes it feel a bit like an app designed for kids.

In context view, collapse-all doesn't fully collapse nested contexts. Each separate sub-context shows up at the top level as a flat list and that's quite annoying.

I haven't ponied up the money yet. I use Omnifocus on my Mac and iPhone and the iPad with the iPhone app. But the problem is the price.

In the cloud sync is the killer function of Omnifocus but it forces me to have a Webdav server or Mobile Me. No support for DropBox or SugarSync is available, at least none that I have found on the iPhone side. So last year when I made the switch to Omnifocus, I spent $79 for the Mac version, $20 for the iPhone version, and $99 for a year of MobileMe (and I pretty much only use Mobile Me for Omnifocus). $200 total to manage my tasks on two different platforms.

So now the iPad client comes out and it is $40??? Come on, I know you guys have to eat, but it couldn't be a little cheaper. I love the product, but I can get ToDo for the iPad right now for $5, and it is georgeous. I know it doesn't sync, but I pretty much always have my iPad with me, so maybe I stop using the desktop version.

People who have tested, is it worth it for me to spend $40 for yet another different version of the same program, or should I just continue to use the iPhone version? Does it look like the iPad version is worth $40? By the reviews here, it looks like people aren't in love with the interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspruance View Post
People who have tested, is it worth it for me to spend $40 for yet another different version of the same program, or should I just continue to use the iPhone version? Does it look like the iPad version is worth $40? By the reviews here, it looks like people aren't in love with the interface.
I've owned the desktop version and iPhone version since each were released, but prior to the release of this iPad version I did consider switching, as the cost is hard for me to justify.

I downloaded a handful of the top-selling task managers on the iPad and realised that none of them were going to come close to meeting my expectations (multi-level hierarchies and syncing are particularly in short supply), so I've bit the bullet and stumped up for the iPad version. And as I've stated above, UI concerns aside, I'm glad that I did.

I am really pleased with the "Fisher Price" sized interface.

I am inherently lazy and I need OF to be quick and accessible and friendly looking.

The iPad version does that. On the desktop, I have small font sizes and tons of data on-screen. I don't want that for the iPad version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdf View Post
I downloaded a handful of the top-selling task managers on the iPad and realised that none of them were going to come close to meeting my expectations (multi-level hierarchies and syncing are particularly in short supply), so I've bit the bullet and stumped up for the iPad version. And as I've stated above, UI concerns aside, I'm glad that I did.
Thanks for the input pmdf. I figured all the other apps fell short. I'll keep watching and the consensus on the UI. I am in love with OF so I will probably end up buying it. It's just hard to cough up that kind of money these days.

[snip.

In the cloud sync is the killer function of Omnifocus but it forces me to have a Webdav server or Mobile Me. No support for DropBox or SugarSync is available, at least none that I have found on the iPhone side. So last year when I made the switch to Omnifocus, I spent $79 for the Mac version, $20 for the iPhone version, and $99 for a year of MobileMe (and I pretty much only use Mobile Me for Omnifocus). $200 total to manage my tasks on two different platforms.

snip
.[/QUOTE]

You can get a much cheaper synchronization solution through the spootnik dude - http://www.spootnik.net/ You also get access to a very scaled down version of OF with your data through a browser. The charge is $3 a month - much cheaper than MobileMe (if, like myself, you don't use MobileMe for anything by sync OF). This way you can view, edit and create new tasks on the web (though in a very limited way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlad View Post
[snip.

snip

You can apply for the Omni Sync Server which is currently in beta. I've switched over from MobileMe to this several weeks ago, and it works fine.

You can go to here: http://www.omnigroup.com/sync/ and request a beta invitation.

Someone mentioned having to pay for MobileMe or another WebDAV service.
Swissdisk is free and works fine for OF synchronization.

Last edited by HiramvdG; 2010-07-30 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: Wrong subthread