The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Garbage collection? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So, I recently made the move from OF 1.0X to 1.1 sneaky peeky so I could use OF on my iPhone. In the process, I ran into a lot of frustration trying to get OF on the iPhone to open up my massive desktop database. To get it to work, I had to go through and delete all my old, completed tasks, delete the OF db on my WebDAV server, delete OF from my iPhone, etc.

All this could have been avoided with garbage collection. Eg: if a task has been completed more than <user settable days> ago (and optionally, not part of an active project), the task should be deleted from the database. This kind of automated garbage collection would save a lot of headache for those of us with large OF databases.

Is something like this planned? If not, could it be?

The 1.1 Sneaky Peek includes an Move Old Data to Archive item in the File menu. The last time I tried it, it archived subtasks of repeating projects, which is a bug. I haven't seen anything in the release notes about that being fixed yet. To answer your question directly, yes, the feature is planned and in progress.

Curt

Neat. I do use a few repeating tasks, so I'll hold off on trying it.

Personally I'd rather have it an automatic process rather than a manual one if possible. I have enough to worry about as is. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmanuss8 View Post
Personally I'd rather have it an automatic process rather than a manual one if possible. I have enough to worry about as is. :)
I've just posted a completed-task-deleting Applescript. I can think of a couple of different ways you could set it up to run automatically if you like.