The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF 1.7.5 creates ghost window in Expose Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
You're not alone. No matter what I try, I can't get it to happen on my machine either.
Just to make it clear... Ghost window becomes blue only after you point your cursor at it otherwise it is transparent but you may notice abnormal space on the screen which would be taken by All Windows.

Yep. Now I see it. You're right. If I have OmniFocus minimized, there is no additional transparent window, but if OmniFocus is not minimized, then I get a transparent window. When I move my mouse over to the transparent window, I get the blue background to appear. I never noticed before simply because I was expecting the blue window to be there regardless of where the mouse was.

Very strange. Now I have to reverse my original position a bit and wonder if more people have this issue but either don't realize it or don't know how to get the blue box to display.

*shrug*

Luckily it's not an issue for me as I don't use Exposé.

ifonline, I'm pretty sure that every user with Snow Leopard Client or Server 10.6.4 has this issue.

But some of them are unable to notice what they see, some may be unable to understand what they see, and some don't care enough to report themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
I used to see this ghost but do not now (OF 1.8, OS 10.6.4).
I thought it might be related to the bad Spaces-related QE window behavior (seen only the first time it invoked after launch) but alas, that is not fixed either.

Edit: the ghost is still there but as makesense points out it is only visible when the cursor hovers.
Blob itself is not a disaster.

Actually I am more concerned that it takes space from the screen as a normal window leaving less space for actual windows regardless blob is pointed or not.

I'm even more concerned about bugs and errors. I simply don't use buggy software regardless it corrupts my data or not. With all due respect, so far I have not read anything that actually makes me feel better about OmniFocus, I expect more encouraging responds from support, not only accepting the obvious fact of the problem.

OmniFocus is the only app of dozens Mac apps I saw that causes this abnormal Expose behaviour. Thus, even if Apple is eventually to blame, it is an only-OmniFocus problem.

UPD: Actually Sidebar and Expose bugs were discovered by me within the 1st minute of using OmniFocus for Mac - that was a good start. :) Currently I postponed using OmniFocus and switched to another todo manager. Yes, I know it has certain errors but at least they refer to functions I don't use and do not see each time I call the todo app.

Last edited by makesense; 2010-09-14 at 10:41 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by makesense View Post
Blob itself is not a disaster.

Actually I am more concerned that it takes space from the screen as a normal window leaving less space for actual windows regardless blob is pointed or not.

I'm even more concerned about bugs and errors. I simply don't use buggy software regardless it corrupts my data or not. .
Really? What are you using for an operating system? What are these bug-free pieces of software that you use?

And then you go on to mention using another program with bugs (as every nontrivial program of interest has) because you don't see the buggy parts! What is wrong with this picture?

whpalmer4, somehow people get religious about anything. :)

I think we do not have to discuss that there is no piece of software that has no errors or can not be bugged.

Some software has errors that are invisible to you and won't be called the way you use software.

On the other hand there is some software that has errors that are always in front of you when you try to use this software and always remind you that there is poor quality control. And you hear that so far they do not plan to correct this. This does not sound very optimistic.

I don't see anything wrong with this picture.

You first stated that "I simply don't use buggy software" and then promptly admitted that in fact you do. You don't see a contradiction there? And having asserted that you don't use buggy software, and faced with substantial evidence that Omni's software does have bugs which you find impossible to ignore, you nonetheless appear quite interested in using it. Why else would you continue to participate on the forum if you had decided it doesn't meet your needs?

Sounds to me like you either need a new frame or a new picture, try to get some that match :-)

whpalmer4, what are you doing?

I don't argue on internet forums just to argue and search for contradictions in words.

It is pretty clear that there is no software without bugs and errors and by using a computer I already contradict my statement that I do not use buggy software. Should we continue discussing this interesting fact?

Seems to me to be obvious from what I said that by buggy I mean bugs that haunt you and not vice versa.

I'm an optimist I continue to participate as I hope for the best. Besides Mac is not a type of platform you are free to pick software. Hope we do not start another dispute about OmniFocus not being the only GTD software for Mac. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makesense View Post
There may be only 4 reports but seems like every 10.6.4 user has this ghost window in Expose. I don't get why you are not very much concerned about such things.
We do care: we'd like to look more into this. But there are other changes which customers have told us are more important to them, based on the number of requests they've sent in.

True, anyone using Snow Leopard can potentially trigger this bug, but the emails we're getting indicate that customers either aren't seeing this very often, or they generally aren't bothered by it when they do see it.

(Note that I'm describing the overall behavior of a large group of people - individual experiences will vary, of course.)

In any case, time we spend on this would take time away from features or fixes that folks are telling us they want. From our perspective, it's a choice of necessity, not apathy.

I am really sorry this bothers you so much you can't use OmniFocus - we don't feel good when we sell folks products they aren't able to use. If you let our sales folks know about this thread, we can get you a refund...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I am really sorry this bothers you so much you can't use OmniFocus - we don't feel good when we sell folks products they aren't able to use. If you let our sales folks know about this thread, we can get you a refund...
Brian,

First of all, thank you for understanding.

I see no point in going to another Mac todo manager so far. They all lack functionality and have their own problems. I'm buying their iPhone applications to check if sync works well but only get disappointed as well. All those Bonjour sync pairs seem to be very unreliable and don't even get me started on apps themselves.

I can still work in Microsoft Excel and wait until you guys patch things up. As a personal non-encrypted syncronizable todo manager I think OmniFocus would suit my needs.