The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reviews (quick, long) Post Here Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I like it. I don't interpret some of the design decisions (spacing, high-contrast backgrounds, rounded recs) as not so much a "flavor" decision, but a utility decision.

There's a lot about the more standard iPad gui (mail) that I think is too smooth & subdued for use representing "blocks of things that relate to other things" - the Mail interface is only describing simple buckets of email items.

There's room for improvement, yeah, but I like the risk they took.

Or maybe I'm just giggly about not using the pix-doubled iPhone app. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
I'm sorry, but your comments makes me think you haven't tried the iPad application. It's nothing like the iPhone application, and it pretty much has the power of the Mac program (except creating perspectives) and some new and interesting features.
I bought it before the iPad was even able to find it in the UK store! I managed to get it by clicking the app store link on the OmniFocus iPad marketing page!

I've been using it for the past couple of hours... And this UI is really, really annoying me.

Sorry... Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
I would be too embarrassed to be seen using this app on the subway. The UI is an absolute mess for starters. in addition to that... I really don't want the guy in the next carriage to know that that I need to change my underpants (with font size 34, this is easily accomplished)
Sounds like you should take advantage of their generous 30-day-money-back guarantee and go back to using your iPhone. You might also cultivate the habit of looking at the screen shots in the App Store before pushing the Buy button, for all the other vendors who don't offer such a guarantee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
I bought it before the iPad was even able to find it in the UK store! I managed to get it by clicking the app store link on the OmniFocus iPad marketing page!

I've been using it for the past couple of hours... And this UI is really, really annoying me.

Sorry... Just my opinion.
That's OK. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some people love certain cars, but others think they are not great looking.

Perhaps if you communicate to Omni what aspects of UI you find annoying, then perhaps they can do something about it in future versions.

[snip.

In the cloud sync is the killer function of Omnifocus but it forces me to have a Webdav server or Mobile Me. No support for DropBox or SugarSync is available, at least none that I have found on the iPhone side. So last year when I made the switch to Omnifocus, I spent $79 for the Mac version, $20 for the iPhone version, and $99 for a year of MobileMe (and I pretty much only use Mobile Me for Omnifocus). $200 total to manage my tasks on two different platforms.

snip
.[/QUOTE]

You can get a much cheaper synchronization solution through the spootnik dude - http://www.spootnik.net/ You also get access to a very scaled down version of OF with your data through a browser. The charge is $3 a month - much cheaper than MobileMe (if, like myself, you don't use MobileMe for anything by sync OF). This way you can view, edit and create new tasks on the web (though in a very limited way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlad View Post
[snip.

In the cloud sync is the killer function of Omnifocus but it forces me to have a Webdav server or Mobile Me. No support for DropBox or SugarSync is available, at least none that I have found on the iPhone side. So last year when I made the switch to Omnifocus, I spent $79 for the Mac version, $20 for the iPhone version, and $99 for a year of MobileMe (and I pretty much only use Mobile Me for Omnifocus). $200 total to manage my tasks on two different platforms.

snip

You can apply for the Omni Sync Server which is currently in beta. I've switched over from MobileMe to this several weeks ago, and it works fine.

You can go to here: http://www.omnigroup.com/sync/ and request a beta invitation.

One thing that is lacking the ability to quickly add tasks to a project.

It would be nice, if in the project view, below (or on) the project bar there was an + button, so it would pull the project context and project into the task.

Having that up on the bar, only if you are focused in, just isn't helpful.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
One thing that is lacking the ability to quickly add tasks to a project.

It would be nice, if in the project view, below (or on) the project bar there was an + button, so it would pull the project context and project into the task.

Having that up on the bar, only if you are focused in, just isn't helpful.

BZ
Did you try to tap and hold the project item? It should pop up a list of options, one of which is to add new action.

There are other options as well such as focus, delete, review, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
Did you try to tap and hold the project item? It should pop up a list of options, one of which is to add new action.

There are other options as well such as focus, delete, review, etc.
Thought I did, but will try again.

If that works, it is still 2 taps away. I should be able to add actions to a project very quickly which is something the desktop has, the iPhone does not I am looking for in the iPad version.

BZ

Like many, I have been waiting anxiously for the release of this app. I dont have a technical background, but have been thorougly enjoying the status updates provided by the Omni Group (thanks guys!) concerning the making of this app. The updates were understandable to me and gave me some insight in the process of making such a program, which was fun by itself. That it was about the program I have been most excited about for the last years, is an extra bonus!

I have to say that the iPad-app looks great! It provides good overviews of your lists in the different viewing options (context, perspectives), something that was missing in the iPhone app when compared to the desktop-app. And I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the forecast-view. This is really fantastic guys! I use the "Due soon" perspective a lot but this is just so much better. It fits very well in my workflow, that is mainly focusing on things that need to get done in a time-frame of a week. This is truly a very nice feature!

I dont think I can add a lot to the UI-discussions, except for the fact that I personally think it works, therefore it is fine by me. I dont care much for the looks, but to be honest I dont dislike the look at all. I actually like that icons etc are rather big. And I like the font that was used.

Also, about the price, and I think most people generally agree on this; Omnifocus is a class different from many of the other productivity-apps and the price is consistent with this. I expected $40 and Im willing to pay it. Thats a personal choice anyway. But I dont think the Omni Group is out of line with this.