The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reviews (quick, long) Post Here Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
After one weekend ... I like it. I am still not quite sure whether the iPad edition replaces majority of the work I do now on the desktop - but I believe I will have my opinion within a week of life with the iPad.
When the 4sec video preview was posted, I had serious doubts about the UI. Looked way too huge, lots of wasted space. I changed my opinion today, when I was actually able to do my review on the tram (productivity dream for me). As soon as you are in a moving vehicle, the size is just fine :)
I love the forecast view and hope it will find its way to the desktop (at least).
The current feature set is well implemented, I am sure I will have some more thoughts in the coming working days ...

My first review and some screens from my demo database: http://bit.ly/aZHPn7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspruance View Post

People who have tested, is it worth it for me to spend $40 for yet another different version of the same program, or should I just continue to use the iPhone version? Does it look like the iPad version is worth $40? By the reviews here, it looks like people aren't in love with the interface.
I have every version of OmniFocus & can clearly say the iPad version is worth the money. The interface is definitely different than the iPhone version. It feels much less crowded than the iPhone, but some of the section headers could be shrunk 10-15%. Overall though, it does what is the goal of any good task manager, it adds white space to make your list feel less overwhelming.

I actually have OF for iPad running in my iPad next to my Mac & I'm mostly using the iPad version now... it's that good.

I bought Ommnifocus for iPad a few days ago, and it is growing on me. I think with a few tweaks, this app could be as solid as the desktop and iPhone versions. A few notes:

1) Why did they choose to go with that dark black brickish wallpaper. Replace that with Apples standard silver "woven" looking background ASAP.
2) the functionality is all there. Thanks!
3) the "Inbox" and "new item" yellowish icons are very generic looking. They don't look polished, I despise them.
4) I love that we can review on the iPad.
5) font is loo large and indented. I like small font and thus more info on the screen.

Overall, I'm more pleased with my $40 purchase than i thought I'd be. I love my iPad (scratch that, I'm obsessed with my iPad), and it is now complete!

Omnigroup, could you respond and just let me know why you didn't go with the standard grayish woven looking Apple background (like in safari, pages, keynotes, etc.) I'm just curious?? I think it would look way better.

-Brad

Last edited by doodiebrad; 2010-08-02 at 10:12 AM..

I am just starting to use the OmniFocus for iPad, and my initial impressions are that I like the interface. I think the extra space is valuable in making things visually stand out. I also like the fact that the interface is big enough that it's easy to select things. My opinion may change over time, but right now, it feels right.

Just chiming in on the interface. I've had it for a day and think the basic look is just fine. A lot better than many of the detractors would have you think. They had me very nervous about plunking down $40 but I'm happy I did.

I am hopeful that a lot of the usability features mentioned in other threads are added, such as drag and drop, easier input, larger inspector for adding text, and others.