The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using boolean for project focus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I apologize if this has been discussed before; I haven't found a thread when searching.

My application is two-fold I believe.

I have a somewhat small project that needs to be repetitive. Within that, I have a sub-group that is also repeatable. I want Task A to start 3 weeks after Task B is complete and due 48 hours from the start. I want Task B to start 48 hours after Task A is complete and due within 4 days of start.

Additionally, I would like the entire project to be Active only when #Month is not subject to day light saving time. During DST, I would like the entire project to be Waiting.

I don't think there is any convenient way to have actions be due relative to when the previous action was completed. An inconvenient way is to insert an action which is flagged or otherwise likely to be immediately seen which reminds you to put the appropriate dates on the following action. The problem (aside from the clutter) is that if you don't act on that action to put in the dates, the whole thing unravels.

Another suggestion: generally, you don't want a repeating item inside a repeating project. Either the project or the contents can repeat, but usually not both, as there are no repeat options which terminate.

I've requested the ability to have relative start/due dates on a number of occasions. If it is important to you, you should also make a request, either using Help->Send Feedback in the app, or via email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com. More requests for a feature make it more likely to happen, though I fear there are few who have made this particular request. I have many dozens of projects where I would like to use such a construct...

Thank you!