The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inbox count different on iPhone vs. Mac Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone know how the OF iPhone app counts the items in the inbox? My count is consistently different when compared with OF on the Mac, and I suspect that it's the fact that two items in the inbox are marked with start dates in the future. (I'm still in the processing phase).

I couldn't find anyplace to set the kinds of actions displayed for the inbox, only those for context and project views.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

Regards,
- Steve

There is a preference option (the little i button on the home screen) which allows you to set what gets included in the badge count (overdue, due, flagged if memory serves).

I did noticed, and played with the settings a bit, but none seem to affect the count.

Overdue, due & flagged all seem to display in the projects/contexts, it's the ones in the inbox that seem to have the wrong count. A quick experiment shows that moving a unavailable item out of the inbox (on OF Mac) decrements the count, so I'm pretty sure that this is the problem.

The behaviour isn't explained in the manual, nor can I see a way to set it via the preferences. It's just a little disconcerting to have the numbers out of sync.

It's quite likely the count for OF on iPhone and OF on the Mac are different.

In particular, OF for iPhone can ADD the numbers of Due Soon, Overdue, and/or flagged.

OF for Mac WILL NOT add. If you have overdue items, it is the number of overdue items (only). Due Soon items are ignored.

So take the case of 5 overdue items and 10 "due soon" items. OF for iPhone will show as you've defined it (and can show 15 items). OF for Mac will ONLY show 5 items, and if you complete ALL 5 of them, it will then show the number 10 in orange.

I don't believe either include the number in your inbox in the badge.

This looks like a bug to me - I'm going to write it up as such and make sure the team has a look at this. Thanks very much for pointing it out!

OF for the Mac counts items in the Inbox when determining the value and color of the number for the badge. An overdue item in the Inbox will force the badge number to be red and increment the count by one. A due soon item in the Inbox will force the badge number to be orange if there are no overdue items in any of the active projects in the database, and will increment the count of due soon items by one. If there are no overdue or due soon items anywhere in the database (lucky you!) then items in the Inbox will cause the badge count to be gray and the count will be the number of items in the Inbox.

As CatOne said, there's currently no way to get OF for the Mac to do the summing behavior that the iPhone version offers. If you think that would be a good addition, use Help->Send Feedback to request it.

OF on the iPhone does count items in the Inbox when doing the badge computation. It is perhaps worth noting however that the Inbox badge on the iPhone is always gray, even if you have a due soon or overdue item in the Inbox, and always shows the total count of items in the Inbox. This behavior is different than that of the badges on the desktop, which show the count and color of the overdue items, if any, followed by due soon items, if any, and finally just the count of items.

Clarifying my previous post: I observed different counts in the gray "raw items" badge for the same inbox contents. iPhone included items with future start dates in the badge, while Mac didn't. That's what got written up, in case the original poster was reporting some other behavior. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Clarifying my previous post: I observed different counts in the gray "raw items" badge for the same inbox contents. iPhone included items with future start dates in the badge, while Mac didn't. That's what got written up, in case the original poster was reporting some other behavior. :-)
Yes, that's the problem.