The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can someone please explain bookmark synchronization to me? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was really hopeful when I read your message, troyb. Unfortunately it didn't work. I followed your instructions to the letter. At step 5 I added a new bookmark, then quit OmniWeb. Went to the second Mac, fired up OmniWeb and the new bookmark wasn't there. I knew it wouldn't be because the 'master' copy of OmniWeb hadn't updated the server bookmarks after I created the new bookmark.

So, I opened up the 'master' OmniWeb to make sure that this time the upload happens. As soon as I started it, I saw a flurry of network activity on my router and OmniWeb promptly deleted the new bookmark!

The problem appears to be that Omniweb doesn't immediately update the server bookmarks when any changes are made locally. If this doesn't happen then you will lose any changes the next time. Period.

I use Firefox with the Foxmarks extension. Foxmarks synchronises bookmarks with 100% success. As soon as a change is made locally, the remote server knows about it immediately and the bokmarks are in sync. A second copy of Firefox on another machine seems to update immediately too - it is like the way .Mac sync work with iDisk.

Why can't OmniWeb adopt a similarly robust system?

Omnigroup? Does anyone from Omnigroup read these forums?

I would have thought that a report in the OmniWeb beta discussion forum of a failure with one of OmniWeb's feature would merit at least some comment from the developers.

Bookmarks syncing is the main reason I don't use OmniWeb day to day.

I ended my last post with a comment about bookmarks sync in Firefox and a question.

"Why can't OmniWeb adopt a similarly robust system?"

Although people from the OG do read much of the forum, they don't always read all of it, or respond to it rapidly. They have mentioned a few times that the official way to get support, request a feature or submit a bug is to use the "Send Feedback…" option from within OW, under the Help menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf
Omnigroup? Does anyone from Omnigroup read these forums?
Yes--lots of us do... however Troy was the one helping you earlier so I thought I would let him continue to help, since I was actually surprised by the list of steps he gave for bookmark syncing. Unfortunately, he was sick last week and is now catching up on the email that came in while he was out. Meanwhile, the developers were all at Apple's World Wide Developer Conference all last week.

Quote:
I would have thought that a report in the OmniWeb beta discussion forum of a failure with one of OmniWeb's feature would merit at least some comment from the developers.
Actually, there are plenty of bugs with bookmark syncing which are already known--unless this is a new bug with 5.5 and not already in 5.1, it's not going to be part of the current release. We have so much to do with the conversion to WebKit that we can't fix the known bugs in 5.1 as well unless they are directly related to the conversion.

Quote:
Bookmarks syncing is the main reason I don't use OmniWeb day to day.
I am sorry they aren't working for you--I have never used them myself, but I know other people around Omni who have.

Quote:
I ended my last post with a comment about bookmarks sync in Firefox and a question.

"Why can't OmniWeb adopt a similarly robust system?"
I am planning a major overhaul of syncing in a future release, I will certainly explore what other browsers are doing when I do and I thank you for pointing me at what Firefox is up to...

Thanks for your reply, Len.

I have set up my own solution to the problem. I already have FoldersSynchroniser so I created an OmniWeb 5 folder on a remote WebDAV drive, and on each of my two Macs I set up FS to synchronise the ~/Library/Application Support/OmniWeb 5 folders with the remote OmniWeb 5 folder.

I have to initiate syncing manually, but the system works perfectly. If I could add a Folder Action to initiate the sync whenever the local copy of Bookmarks.html or Favorites.html changes I would have a pretty good system. The problem with the folder action is that I don't know how to write a script to detect a change in a file within a folder :-(

I have set up the same system for Safari and that works very well too. I have bookmarking syncing consistency!!

At last I can get back to using OmniWeb!

Len - I ought to point out that the Firefox solution is provided by way of an extension - a small add-on provided by a third party, FoxMarks at www.foxcloud.com.

A lot of people are finding that the extensibility of FireFox offered by these third-party extensions is proving an irrisistable attraction. There are a huge number of extensions which work on both Mac and Windows.

It works fine for me using .Mac. I suspect that most of the problems are just .Mac problems though. I've had problems for a while and finally resorted to trash my local copy of the iDisk entirely to rebuild it. Since then it's working like a charm.

No, it isn't .Mac - I have tried using two different WebDAV servers and an ftp server. No joy. Cortig - how do you make sure OmniWeb has uploaded any changed bookmarks to the network location before you close it?

IMHO this is the crux of the matter. Closing OW before it has uploaded the changes then opening another instance of OW on another Mac elsewhere seems guaranteed to lose the changes on the first machine when you go back to it.

The problem is that I am a fairly experienced Mac user. I work with computers and consider myself very computer savvy, yet I can't get it working reliably. The average guy in the street certainly won't manage it with any degree of certainty.

That may be one difference from my OW usage - I very rarely close OW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf
Cortig - how do you make sure OmniWeb has uploaded any changed bookmarks to the network location before you close it?

Well you get a point there. I can't really make sure uploading is done though every time I make changes in my bookmarks at work and get back home, the changes are there in OW thanks to .Mac.

Corentin