The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Rescheduling the Entire Project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In my experience this is a common scenario - you think the project is going to start on a specific date so build the project that way, then it moves... So I think it has to be realistically dealt with.

A work-around is to switch the project to start on an unspecified date, and then switch it back to a specified date, which will update it to today's date, and then make changes from there. It won't keep everything relatively aligned, but it seems to work better than just switching the date without the intermediate step.

I just tried setting a new start date for a project which has a combination of tasks that are set to specific dates and others which are based on dependencies. When I move the start date into the future the tasks with dependencies seem to move OK, but some of the ones with specific dates get violations as they start before the new overall project kick-off.

I think it would make sense to offer an option when one changes the project start date: Ask if the user wants to keep all activities relative to that date (everything gets bumped), or stick to absolute dates (dependent and floating tasks get bumped, ones with specific start dates do not).

Adam
 
countrymac: It sounds like you're looking for scheduling backwards from an end date, rather than forwards from a start date. This isn't currently in OmniPlan, but it's a very popular request, so it keeps creeping towards the top of our "To Do" list.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
countrymac: It sounds like you're looking for scheduling backwards from an end date, rather than forwards from a start date. This isn't currently in OmniPlan, but it's a very popular request, so it keeps creeping towards the top of our "To Do" list.
I think for me the thing that would solve this is to be able to act on multiple tasks at once. I can select multiple tasks, but when I try to drag one of the bars to the right (or left) to change the date, the selection automatically reduces to just the task I clicked on. My expectation is that all the selected tasks move together.

This would solve the question asked, as the user could just select all and then drag everything to where it needs to be. Actually, I'm going to post this as a feature request.
 
Perhaps others are in the same boat as I am, evaluating this software.

So FYI, I downloaded a demo of Merlin and this particular function is very intuitive and easy. No scripts, no work-arounds - didn't even have to read instructions. I was able to set up my test project very easily.

Has anyone objectively compared both products?

I would be intersted if the Omni folks could direct me to the benefits of OmniPlan vs. Merlin.
 
The ability to select multiple tasks and move them simultaneously is a popular request and something we are planning to implement in a later version. I will add a vote for every poster who has requested it in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_davis
Perhaps others are in the same boat as I am, evaluating this software.

Has anyone objectively compared both products?

I would be intersted if the Omni folks could direct me to the benefits of OmniPlan vs. Merlin.
I haven't used Merlin enough to objectively compare both products, but a thread was started about this in the forum. Here's a link to the thread:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...ghlight=merlin
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffc View Post
I think for me the thing that would solve this is to be able to act on multiple tasks at once. I can select multiple tasks, but when I try to drag one of the bars to the right (or left) to change the date, the selection automatically reduces to just the task I clicked on. My expectation is that all the selected tasks move together.

This would solve the question asked, as the user could just select all and then drag everything to where it needs to be. Actually, I'm going to post this as a feature request.
I've just paid for omniplan and spent the last hour trying to move/reschedule multiple selected tasks to an earlier start date. I don't want to change the whole project start date - just all the tasks and groups that follow after a certain date. But it seems I can't do this without moving or rescheduling each individual task at a time. How on earth can anyone manage a big project this way?? Love the rest of your products - but how can you leave this out? Can I have my money back???
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strata View Post
I've just paid for omniplan and spent the last hour trying to move/reschedule multiple selected tasks to an earlier start date. I don't want to change the whole project start date - just all the tasks and groups that follow after a certain date. But it seems I can't do this without moving or rescheduling each individual task at a time. How on earth can anyone manage a big project this way?? Love the rest of your products - but how can you leave this out? Can I have my money back???
The ability to move multiple selected tasks has been added into OmniPlan, so you should be smooth sailing now. If you'd still like to request a refund, please email us at omniplan@omnigroup.com and I'll be more than happy to help.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Move entire project to new end date dannyw OmniPlan General 5 2011-12-14 09:24 AM
fit the Entire Project into one page onqun OmniPlan General 1 2009-09-14 09:31 PM
Rescheduling uncompleted work... coreyjenks OmniPlan General 1 2008-05-20 01:20 PM
Do Actions On hold force the entire Project to be On Hold? MarkSealey OmniFocus 1 for Mac 2 2008-02-26 06:27 AM
Rescheduling a group of tasks kwispel OmniPlan General 3 2007-12-17 02:09 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.