The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
[SOLVED] new update gives me eternal syncing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
FYI... Try running the CoalesceDatabase script mentioned in other posts. This seems to have fixed the problem for me. However, I'm assuming I'll have to run this periodically until a real fix comes out...
 
This is happening to me as well - my iPhone app won't sync either. It's hard to 'trust the system' when it breaks every few days.

I'm starting to really regret spending $100 on this and the iPhone app.
 
Now that I have resolved my syncing issues everything is much quicker on the Iphone side now. Opening and syncing are done in a reasonable amount of time.
 
We got a couple of sample databases from folks, and we think we may know what's going on here. Can folks that were/are hitting this problem let us know if they'd used the new 'delete old client files' feature we added recently?

From what we're seeing, it looks like we're spending all our processor time compacting the database. Our theory is that the new feature means that some folks with really stale client files deleted them - consequently, we have a bunch of large databases (since they haven't been compacted for weeks or more) that can suddenly compact.

If that's correct, folks never hit this problem before because they never compacted - they just added new transactions to the pile with every sync. Compact fairly regularly, and things don't appear slow because you're only compacting a small number of transactions. Throw a thousand or more transactions in several branches that weave in and out of each other at the algorithm, though, and things get slow.

The lead developer is going to work on making that more efficient tonight - when I know more, I'll make another post.
 
Just to follow up what Brian said; based on one of the sample databases we received, I've been able to locate and fix a performance problem in dealing with large documents.

This fix will show up in builds 104538 or later. With the sample document we received, OmniFocus starts up very quickly. If you are still seeing problems after updating to this build, let us know.

Thanks!
__________________
CTO, The Omni Group
 
I used the "delete old client" feature indeed before the problem occured.

I am glad you could fix it. It was a terrible nightmare. Loosing my entire GTD system on all devices really shocked me...
 
My problem started after deleting an old client.
 
Same here. My problem started after deleting an old client.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to sync w/Bonjour since iPhone Omnifocus update [SOLVED: Blocked by router.] Nutty87th OmniFocus Syncing 7 2010-04-29 01:44 AM
OSX 10.6.2 update broke the Mail plugin [SOLVED: Reinstall using 1.7.5] alexknight OmniFocus 1 for Mac 12 2009-11-17 07:48 AM
My iTouch data is not syncing [SOLVED] Night_Sailor OmniFocus Syncing 2 2009-04-25 05:11 PM
SOLVED: iphone items NOT syncing to mac Devo777 OmniFocus Syncing 5 2008-07-29 12:42 PM
SOLVED: Not syncing from iPhone > iDisk > Mac Roll OmniFocus for iPhone 13 2008-07-27 09:04 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.