The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
iPhone 4 and iOS4 lose auto-sync? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
But for iOS capable devices, there is no reason that OF can't initiate a sync and move into the background.
Apple has made some specific tasks possible in the background, but accessing the network isn't one of them. We're hopeful this will change in the future. Here's a blog post from another iOS developer - he works on a Twitter app - which is similarly limited.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
OF did not update the due soon/overdue status on one of my tasks this morning until after I forced it to quit.
I haven't been able to reproduce this - which, of course, doesn't mean that there isn't a problem; it only means that I haven't managed to reproduce the problem. :-)

Here's what I tried:
  1. Make a new item due at 5:20 pm tomorrow. (This was at 5:16 today, and my due soon preference is set to 24 hours.)
  2. Check that my Due Soon list does not include the item I created.
  3. Bring another application forward, wait until 5:20 had passed
  4. At 5:21, switch back to OmniFocus. The test item appeared on my Due Soon list after a short delay.

(Note that OmniFocus can't update the badge on the icon while in the background, because aside from a few specific tasks, OmniFocus isn't actually running. The app is frozen in a state that lets it resume quickly.)

If folks aren't seeing badges update, please email us! Ifonline, I'm responding to your support ticket, as well, so we can gather more info if you're still seeing this. Thanks!
 
Interesting, and I appreciate the detailed responses. The information you provided allows me to now go back and evaluate what the program is doing and change my habits if need be.

There is one question, however: how does OmniFocus sync every hour if it is in the background? Is that possible? My understanding is that iOS 4 will allow an app to finish a task when it goes to the background, but it can't initiate a task once it's there. Do I have this info wrong? In other words, if I have OmniFocus in the background, and it has been an hour (or more) since it last synced, will OmniFocus sync while it is still in the background?

To expand a bit: OmniFocus should be syncing one minute after any changes are made. Does this still happen in the background as well?

For example:

- I open OmniFocus and mark a task as completed.
- I close OmniFocus (so it moves into the background).
- One minute later (while OmniFocus is in the background), it syncs those changes.
- One hour after that (while still in the background), it syncs again.

Is this accurate? By your explanation, this seems to be the case, but seems to be contradictory to what I have understood about background processes in iOS 4.

Thanks.

EDIT: After reading your responses again, I think I might have misunderstood you, but I want to leave it posted as is just in case.

Last edited by ifonline; 2010-07-02 at 06:10 AM..
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If folks aren't seeing badges update, please email us! Ifonline, I'm responding to your support ticket, as well, so we can gather more info if you're still seeing this. Thanks!
Thanks. I will gladly respond to the e-mail when it arrives. In the meantime, what I had happen was slightly different, if that matters:

I had a task that was due soon (48 hour window) and it was orange. It showed as due soon on the iPhone and on the Mac. So far, so good. At 10am (my notification time), the Mac marked the item to overdue and colored it red. I checked the iPhone, and it did not. It still showed as due soon (and was still orange). I pressed the sync button to see if that would help, but it did not. Nothing I would do would get the iPhone app to show the item as overdue (just as it was on the Mac). Finally, I forced OmniFocus to quit and restarted it. At that point, I saw the optimization message and then the item moved to overdue and was colored red. So, it seems to have taken a force-quit and restart of the app to get the item to transition to overdue from due soon.

Hopefully I explained that well.
 
Heh, I didn't phrase that well at all - it will sync once it comes to the foreground and sees that it's been an hour since the last sync. I'll go edit the last post.

AFAIK, OmniFocus can't access the network in the background - so yes, if you want to be sure that your sync made it to the server, you'll want to let it complete and then switch to another app.
 
Ah, got it. Thanks.

Last edited by ifonline; 2010-07-02 at 06:10 AM..
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
I had a task that was due soon (48 hour window) and it was orange. It showed as due soon on the iPhone and on the Mac. So far, so good. At 10am (my notification time), the Mac marked the item to overdue and colored it red. I checked the iPhone, and it did not. It still showed as due soon (and was still orange). I pressed the sync button to see if that would help, but it did not. Nothing I would do would get the iPhone app to show the item as overdue (just as it was on the Mac). Finally, I forced OmniFocus to quit and restarted it. At that point, I saw the optimization message and then the item moved to overdue and was colored red. So, it seems to have taken a force-quit and restart of the app to get the item to transition to overdue from due soon.
That sounds like an item that we've been trying to reproduce for a while - we get a few reports here and there of this happening. It predates multitasking, in other words, though the reduced number of times OF quits and restarts may make it show up more frequently.

I can't find the item on the bug I'm thinking of in our tracking database at the moment, but I'll check with the team tomorrow. Will respond via email.

Edit: Heh, looks like I wrote but never sent the response to your support ticket. GO ME. Sending now. :-)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
That sounds like an item that we've been trying to reproduce for a while - we get a few reports here and there of this happening.
Of course! Only I could fall head over heels for an application only to stumble across an elusive bug such as this! I love being me! :p

Quote:
It predates multitasking, in other words, though the reduced number of times OF quits and restarts may make it show up more frequently.

I can't find the item on the bug I'm thinking of in our tracking database at the moment, but I'll check with the team tomorrow. Will respond via email.

Edit: Heh, looks like I wrote but never sent the response to your support ticket. GO ME. Sending now. :-)
Yay you! :p

Got the e-mail. Responded. I will keep an eye out for this one again and report if it happens. Should I submit any logs to help track it down?

Last edited by ifonline; 2010-07-02 at 06:10 AM..
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When does the iPhone auto-sync? vocaro OmniFocus Syncing 7 2011-04-11 02:45 PM
auto-sync iPhone question jwares OmniFocus for iPhone 4 2011-03-30 06:33 AM
iOS4 and Location based background support kunicki OmniFocus for iPhone 13 2010-07-28 02:29 AM
Auto-sync only one-way? santra OmniFocus Syncing 0 2008-07-15 06:29 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.