The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Rescheduling the Entire Project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi folks:

As I have recently moved from a PC to Mac, I've just begun evaluating OminPlan and can't seem to figure out what should be simple.

Let's say I've entered all the tasks and duration info in a project, but now I want to start the project on a different day. Is there any way to select all the tasks and move them without messing with the dependency functions?

Thanks.
 
Select all tasks and then use Reschedule button (toolbar) or shift-cmd-R.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconino
Select all tasks and then use Reschedule button (toolbar) or shift-cmd-R.
Thanks, but I've tried that. When I do it, ALL the tasks move to the new start date, except the first one that extends from the old start date to the new one. They do not keep their relative position.

Also, I can't seem to reschedule backwards - a date previous to the original start date.

Last edited by p_davis; 2007-06-12 at 12:50 PM..
 
coconino: Reschedule is for when you've made your plan, and worked on it for a few weeks, then realize some tasks are behind schedule. It slides them forward so that their incomplete portions start on or after the current date.

p_davis: I think you really want the start date in the project information inspector. You can set a specific date, or use an "Unspecified Start Date", so times will be labeled "T + 1 day", "T + 2 months", etc.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
p_davis: I think you really want the start date in the project information inspector. You can set a specific date, or use an "Unspecified Start Date", so times will be labeled "T + 1 day", "T + 2 months", etc.
Thanks...but I need to work in real dates. Once I change to an unspecified date, I don't seem to be able to assign a new start date. Is there a way to do that?

Are you saying that tasks just can't simply be selected and moved keeping their relative position to eachother?
 
How I normally do that is indeed by having predecessors defined (or dependencies as Omniplan calls them), that 1) allows for highlighting the critical path, but also when you have a milestone date that 'starts' it you only have to change that date and everything else gets 'rescheduled'...

I think that from a project management perspective that approach makes sense, as it is a pretty big decision to make to shift everything, so worthy of a mile-stone!
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
coconino: Reschedule is for when you've made your plan, and worked on it for a few weeks, then realize some tasks are behind schedule. It slides them forward so that their incomplete portions start on or after the current date.
Well, I didn't post without testing it and when I tested it it worked for me. I opened a plan which had no items completed, selected all, hit reschedule and picked a date. The plan moved to start on the new date, with all the dependencies and relationships intact. YMMV.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_davis
Hi folks:
Let's say I've entered all the tasks and duration info in a project, but now I want to start the project on a different day. Is there any way to select all the tasks and move them without messing with the dependency functions?
I'm not in front of my Mac right now, but you could probably do this with AppleScript, or possibly with Automator. It's not an ideal answer (more work than it should be) but it seems do-able.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffc
...you could probably do this with AppleScript, or possibly with Automator. It's not an ideal answer (more work than it should be) but it seems do-able.
LOL

Thanks, but when I'm evaluating software for purchase, that's the kind of phrase that tells me I need to move on!

Last edited by p_davis; 2007-06-14 at 06:13 AM..
 
I am working on migration schedules across the globe and everything is focused on the DayOne date (which is the day the customers come in and work in the new environment).

All my tasks are leading up to this point.
So Task1 is -60days prior to DayOne, Task2 is -32days prior to DayOne, Task3 is -30 days prior to DayOne, etc...

I basically have been creating a template/group of tasks for each region (North America, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Europe) and then I copy those tasks for each branch we are migrating just changing the name and the DayOne date.

How can I get all my tasks to shift based just on the DayOne date changing?
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Move entire project to new end date dannyw OmniPlan General 5 2011-12-14 09:24 AM
fit the Entire Project into one page onqun OmniPlan General 1 2009-09-14 09:31 PM
Rescheduling uncompleted work... coreyjenks OmniPlan General 1 2008-05-20 01:20 PM
Do Actions On hold force the entire Project to be On Hold? MarkSealey OmniFocus 1 for Mac 2 2008-02-26 06:27 AM
Rescheduling a group of tasks kwispel OmniPlan General 3 2007-12-17 02:09 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.