The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to put an OF project into a MindManager map? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use Mindjet MindManager a lot, also in my GTD process. It is my impression that it is by far the most used mindmapping app. Some say it is not worth the price, but you often end up getting it for free, from your employer or elsewhere.

I was having trouble finding a way to link to OF objects from a mindmap. Right-clicking on an object in OF can give you a link (e.g. omnifocus:///task/mckP02fXmdQ or omnifocus:///context/hLIL2fHaAMM), but MM only allows links to URLs, files/folders, email adresses or other objects in MM.

However, I found a workaround:
  • Type the name of the OF object into Spotlight
  • Drag the object from the Spotlight window to MM
I guess this gives a link to the OF file directly (e.g. /Users/johndoe/Library/Caches/Metadata/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/mckP02fXmdQ.ofocus-project-metadata), which MM can understand.

Although this works, I'm guessing I'll find it kinda cumbersome after a while. Shouldn't OF provide this kind of link directly? (I'm guessing several apps other than MM will have a similar problems with the present format.)

Or is this kind of link unstable, so that the links become defect after a while?

(BTW: This method works for putting Evernote notes into the notes field of OF projects too.)

Last edited by Humbro; 2009-05-11 at 12:16 AM..

Note that the link points through the Spotlight cache. Caches are intended to be temporary, so that seems risky. (I don't know how stable the Spotlight cache is in practice. It may be fine.)

It seems like this is a problem with MM not using the system URI handlers. OmniFocus installs a handler for 'omnifocus:...' links. Have you asked the MM folks about providing general support for links?

Curt

Thanks for your reply, Curt, even though you're a bringer of bad news here. I'm really impressed by all your quality posts in here – the Omni group should pay you ;)

Unfortunately, you seem to be right. My little hack that I was so happy with, doesn't seem to work across different machines at all. Logical, since it is the Finder cache, I didn't realize it was.

I agree the fault is MindManager's. I'll try and send them and email about it some time. I've been in contact with their support staff once before though, and was very unimpressed, so I'm not getting my hopes up. The support ninjas at Omni are incredibly much better, and friendlier – so in a way, I wish the fault was OmniFocus'.