The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Signle-actions lists and related activities Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi!

Please help me to resolve following problem:
I have two homes (city flat and country home) and I travel sometimes between each other.

I use OmniFocus daily to not forget the things that I should bring from one home to another. That's simple - I created Signle-actions list "Things to bring to Country home" and when I preparing myself to go to that home I simply look to that list and collect all of my belongings in city home and on the way to country-home (food to buy, etc).

This works great for single actions.

But in reality lots of things that I bring to my country-home need an attention :-)

For example - "buy new light bulbs" @DIY Store and related action "Change light bulbs on 1ft floor" and "Change light bulbs on 2nd floor".

It could be a serial project with 1st action to buy a bulbs and 2nd (parallel) group - "change bulbs". But in that case there is a chance that I will miss a first action probably.

Let's think that I already have a bulbs at my city home and only need to bring these bulbs to country home. In that case I need to go to my designated Single-Action list and collect belongings. But in that case next actions ("change bulbs") will not be linked to action "bring bulbs".

What GTD hardcore guys could advice me? :-)

Despite the name, it is possible to add action groups (or sub-actions or sub-projects as some call them) to a single-action list. If you have a task for the country house that requires more than one action, enter the task in your list as usual, but then indent the next line and add the broken-down steps to achieve the goal. You can use the inspector to make the resulting action group be parallel or sequential in execution, as appropriate.

Rather than have a list of things to take with you, which isn't really a list of actions, you might structure it as a list of things to do to prepare for a trip to the other house. Work the list to 0 before leaving, or at least the parts of it that can be done before getting there. In this case, you are using the SAL as a container for a list of projects or tasks to be done at the other house which require prior preparation here, or en route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_man View Post
Let's think that I already have a bulbs at my city home and only need to bring these bulbs to country home. In that case I need to go to my designated Single-Action list and collect belongings. But in that case next actions ("change bulbs") will not be linked to action "bring bulbs".
I think this is an incorrect assumption.

Why do the two items need to be linked in any way?

* Pack bulbs for country home (Context: City Home)

* Change bulbs on first floor (Context: Country Home)

When you're in your City Home context, perhaps as you're preparing to leave, you scan this context and complete the actions on it you can.

When you arrive at your Country Home context, you can that context and complete the actions on it you can.

There's no need to tie them together, assuming you are doing your reviews appropriately.

If you don't do your City Home review before you leave there, and you get to Country Home without the bulbs, you could change the action to "Buy bulbs at local store" and move it to your Errands or other relevant context.