The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF, iCal, and .mac sync issue with multiple Macs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Apologies if this has already been addressed before, but I didn't see any posts related to this.

I'm using OF on two Macs (by copying the OF database between the two), and I also sync my iCals between the two machines using .mac. When I first sync OF to iCal on one Mac (e.g., my laptop), the appropriate to-dos for new tasks are added to the calendar. Now if I copy the OF database and .mac sync iCal to the other Mac (my desktop) and then try to sync OF and iCal on this machine, OF interprets the existing task to-dos in iCal (created by OF on the laptop) as new tasks and adds them to the inbox, while creating duplicate to-dos in iCal for the existing tasks.

It seems that .mac syncing of iCal is creating to-dos on the new machine that have a different to-do uid from the original (verified using AppleScript), and thus OmniFocus interprets these to-dos as new items. If this is the case, I doubt there's an easy solution to this problem, but I thought I'd check here to be sure (and to warn anyone else using OF and .mac iCal syncing on multiple Macs). I'd love to know if there's a way of overcoming this. Otherwise, I suppose the best option is to only sync OF and iCal on one machine. Thanks!

Yup, as you said, the UIDs aren't quite as persistent as one might hope, so you really ought to only sync with iCal on one of the machines.

Or at least only sync with a particular calendar from a single machine. (I synchronize some contexts with my "Omni" calendar when I'm at work, and some others with my "Home" calendar when I'm at home.)

right.

(Yay Ken for following me around, cleaning up after me. :D )

Thanks for confirmation of the issue. I hadn't thought of separating calendar syncing on different machines... thanks for the tip!

Good luck with the impending 1.0 release!