The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Due and Overdue Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am fairly new to OF, but it seems to be doing me a lot of good :)

My question here: How do I get overdue tasks mixed in with due soon tasks?

I have my "Due Soon" perspective: Context mode and going across the view bar: Active, group Due, sort Due, Due Soon, Any Duration, Any Flag.

The only way I can see just overdue items seems to be a perspective like: Planning mode and ... All Projects, group Due, sort Due, Remaining, Any Duration, Any Flag.

I like the urgency focus the first view gives, but if I'm focusing on things I have to do soon, why wouldn't I also want to see things overdue? I would....

The latter view though also shows everything due stretching into the future and even if I collapse non-overdue stuff, the view is "polluted" with collapsed bars.

So, is there no way to get a "Due Soon AND Overdue AND nothing but" perspective? ... where those and only those things show? ... with nothing else on the screen to distract. Of course, being fairly new, I figure that it is just as likely that I haven't quite worked out the "How would OF do this?" logic.

I use the default 'Due' perspective that is included with OF and it includes all due soon and overdue items in the same view. That perspective looks to be the same as your 'Due Soon' perspective, but for the fact that it includes the remain group rather than the active group. Even when I switch that perspective to active group, past due items still appear. Is there a chance that your past due items are blocked somehow (for example, sitting in the Inbox)?

Last edited by Greg Jones; 2009-02-07 at 06:32 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagliere View Post
My question here: How do I get overdue tasks mixed in with due soon tasks?

I have my "Due Soon" perspective: Context mode and going across the view bar: Active, group Due, sort Due, Due Soon, Any Duration, Any Flag.
I'm confused. If I bring up a window with those settings, I certainly see all of my overdue actions as well as those due soon.
Quote:
So, is there no way to get a "Due Soon AND Overdue AND nothing but" perspective? ... where those and only those things show? ... with nothing else on the screen to distract. Of course, being fairly new, I figure that it is just as likely that I haven't quite worked out the "How would OF do this?" logic.
Using Due Soon as your action selector and grouping by Due should minimize the amount of "future clutter" because at most it will reach 1 week into the future, giving you just the Due tomorrow and Due with the next week groups to collapse. I use a variation of your Due Soon perspective (sorting by project, not due, and remaining instead of active contexts) to track my "urgent" work and have little cause for complaint, though I don't personally find it hard to ignore collapsed groups, either.

Maybe you could give us a screenshot or two illustrating exactly how you aren't seeing what you expect?