The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Is OmniPlan right for me??? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have looked at the tutorials
and scanned the forums here.
and I still can't tell.

I am working on a big project that needs scheduling.
(a documentary editing project)

and I need to schedule separate tasks for 3 people
there also needs to be a time where we all meet a few times a day.

I can't seem to figure out how I can schedule I group meeting every day
from say 10 am -11:30 am for all of us and have the separate tasks revolve around these time "dependancies".

Simply can I schedule a week or month of tasks with static time blocks
together with dependent tasks with OmniPlan
and if so where can I find the relevant info on how to do so
either in the screencasts, the manual or a topic thread.

thanks

also is there a way to allot a certain amount of time for each day or individual days for tasks
that are not dependent on other tasks.

for instance can I say that 1 hr need to be devoted to Yoga on Wednesday but at anytime on Wednesday?

I am not sure if my issues with OmniPlaner stem from the perspective change and learning curve
or if it just can not do what it is I need it to do.

Last edited by terraform; 2009-10-05 at 06:32 AM..

I'm restating your questions a bit...please let me know if I've misunderstood you.

1) Can I create a repeating task for every Wednesday?
No, you would need to create a separate task for each Wednesday in your project. We know this is rather tedious. We're considering adding repeating tasks in an upcoming release.

2) Can I schedule a long task and have it be interrupted by a meeting and resumed afterwards?
No. Tasks can only be scheduled in single blocks. So if there's only time to do half the task before a meeting would start, the task will be delayed until after the meeting. Again, we are considering adding the ability to choose some tasks to be interruptible in a future version.

3) Can I schedule a meeting?
Yes. You should assign all attendees as resources for the meeting, and lock its start and end dates if it has a scheduled time. You will probably want to toggle the effort/duration setting on the task, so that adding or removing attendees will not change the duration of the meeting.
4) Can I schedule dependent tasks?
Yes. Create the tasks, and then use the Connection toolbar button to create a dependency between them.

5) Where can I learn more about OmniPlan?
The manual is a PDF here: http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/sof...lan-Manual.pdf

Some video tutorials are available here:
http://www.omnigroup.com/application...lan/tutorials/

You're also welcome to download OmniPlan and try it free for two weeks. http://www.omnigroup.com/download/latest/OmniPlan.dmg