The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Single tasks solutions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb
The app has come a long way since that last post, and now there is a way to manage single Tasks.
There is? Either it's not obvious, or it's staring me right in the face, yet I don't see it. Would someone please elaborate and tell us where it's located?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome
There is? Either it's not obvious, or it's staring me right in the face, yet I don't see it. Would someone please elaborate and tell us where it's located?

Thanks.
I have not searched for it in the documentation but I read about it in these forums: to have a task with no project, simply give it a context. It will show up in this context view with "no project" as project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smew
One reason you need to be able to see project-less actions in project view as well is this: sometimes you might simply forget to assign a project, or mistakenly Clean Up before assigning a project. What if you don't remember what context you assigned it to? Go fishing through it in context view? Not nice.
This could not be more true. Having tasks with no associate project is a great idea, but they should be viewable as a group if only to ensure that they all belong that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigrini
Having tasks with no associate project is a great idea, but they should be viewable as a group if only to ensure that they all belong that way.
The default "ungrouped" grouping in Context view actually sorts everything by project, so if you ungroup you'll find all your actions without projects sorted together (at the bottom of the context view).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigrini
Having tasks with no associate project is a great idea, but they should be viewable as a group if only to ensure that they all belong that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
The default "ungrouped" grouping in Context view actually sorts everything by project, so if you ungroup you'll find all your actions without projects sorted together (at the bottom of the context view).
I have to say it seems bizarre to me to go into context view and group your actions a certain way in order to check that actions without projects assigned really don't/shouldn't have projects. I mean, this sounds like a planning thing more than a doing thing.

OF now has a top-level "Projects" folder in project view that by definition contains every project. Right now, the top-level contains (and only can contain) the Inbox and this Projects folder. I would suggest that a new top-level entity be created that shows actions without projects assigned. The general idea is that in project view, actions come in three flavors: those not yet processed (Inbox), those processed and assigned to projects (Projects folder), and those processed, but not assigned to a project (the new folder).

This would make it easy, while in planning mode, to move actions that maybe aren't as single-step as one thought into the project hierachy. This would also mean that while in planning mode (project view) one could find EVERY action in the database. It is a little confusing to me that some actions are only available in one view and some only in the other. At least one view should show everything (with appropriate filter settings, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
This actually doesn't happen for me. I have a bunch of No Projects at the top, and a bunch at the bottom. I don't know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelande
How about instead of a "dedicated" project that you create yourself for Singletons, OmniFocus creates a "Smart Project" which consists of singletons that are not assigned to a project?
I'm totally with Joelande.

If not that, at least "non project" and "no context" actions should always show up at the TOP of their respective views, not the bottom. If I'm organizing manually, I want things that accidentally got "lost in the shuffle" to pop out first so I can fix them, not last. I never get to the bottom of the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrover
I never get to the bottom of the list.
LOL. That's why it's "Getting Things Done", not "Getting Everything Done".

Exactly... just because I havn't assigned them to a project doesn't mean that they should go to the bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarkley
This would make it easy, while in planning mode, to move actions that maybe aren't as single-step as one thought into the project hierachy.
I agree, this is in fact a very common occurance.