The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dealing with future location based actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I usually work around four contexts: Home, Work, Anywhere and Errands.

My errands are usually short one off items, such as things I need to do when I visit my parents. Or in one or two cases, Things I want to order next time I go to a particular restaurant. These are all set up with locations in the iphone app so that I can forget about them until I find myself in that location.

My problem is with these items is that they completely clutter up my "Available" perspective, which I refer to to get an overview of my next actions.

Is there a way to keep these location based actions available to me as and when they become relevant, whilst keeping them away from my day to day actions and perspectives? It would be great if they could still show up if they have a due date attached to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmorrisphoto View Post
I usually work around four contexts: Home, Work, Anywhere and Errands.

My errands are usually short one off items, such as things I need to do when I visit my parents. Or in one or two cases, Things I want to order next time I go to a particular restaurant. These are all set up with locations in the iphone app so that I can forget about them until I find myself in that location.

My problem is with these items is that they completely clutter up my "Available" perspective, which I refer to to get an overview of my next actions.

Is there a way to keep these location based actions available to me as and when they become relevant, whilst keeping them away from my day to day actions and perspectives? It would be great if they could still show up if they have a due date attached to them.
I may be misunderstanding your situation, but what if you made a perspective that excludes the errands context?

1. Go to context mode. Select the contexts you want in the left sidebar using command click, and not the errands context.

2. Hit the focus button, then make a perspective based on that subset. You could call it something like "available -errands."

This should remove the errands context from the new perspective.

Then, when you don't want to see a view cluttered with errands, just select "available -errands."

Or am I missing something?

No, that makes a lot of sense. It hadn't been clear to me before how to do this. (I was looking inside the perspective settings window, tearing my hair out).

Thanks!