The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Source editor: encoding advice Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I wanted to get away from using entities in html (German contains a lot of special characters). Now I use Taco for editing which encodes text as Unicode utf-8. The characters are displayed fine in the browser view, but not in the source editor. Source view is fine here with Firefox, Safari and even IE, but not with OmniWeb.

What kind of encoding is advisable to be used with OmniWeb?

Is it better to stay with entities anyway?

I think you should stay in Unicode since it prevents lots and lots of problems for now and future.

I guess Omniweb shows Unicode char codes as raw without rendering them. You shouldn't move to ISO because of it.

I recommend 2 tools for unicode and source editing,both are free.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18529 (TextWrangler)
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12519 (Unicode Checker,adds itself to services too)

Last edited by Ilgaz; 2007-03-28 at 12:02 AM..

It seems that the OW Editor can display and handle ISO and UTF-16, but not UTF-8. When I open such a file in the editor and save it back, the encoding gets somehow spoiled. So since I do not plan to write chinese and want small file sizes, I can
-avoid using the OW editor at all or
-use ISO instead.

Thank you for the links, Ilgaz.