The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weekday Only, Post Completion Task Repeat Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Greetings Forums:

I've scoured the forums and haven't found a suitable solution. I have a specific need for tasks that, in OF language, "start again one day after completion weekday tasks only".

I love the hell out of OF, but don't live a "traditional" lifestyle where I am always at a computer or available to check off tasks.

My goal here is to ensure that when I'm away from my computer for a day, week, or even a month, that when I come back I don't have to click tens (or hundreds) of repeating tasks that I didn't have access to click as completed.

Thank you in advance, appreciate the commentary.

May have found a solution to this, and feedback is still requested...

We'll say the task is going for a walk every evening around the neighborhood.

1) Created a project of the task I'd like to have repeated: Walk After Work (WAW)

2) Created 5 identical actions: WAW

3) Set each task to repeat on a different day of the week, only after completion. i.e:
WAW Mon; repeat one week after completion
WAW Tue; repeat one week after completion
WAW Wed; repeat one week after completion
WAW Thu; repeat one week after completion
WAW Fri; repeat one week after completion

4) Finally, I set the project to be in series, instead of concurrent.

My thought process here is to have each task repeat once a week, only after completion but to not see all those tasks pile up when not completed. If I don't check off Monday's WAW for whatever reason, when I recheck my perspective that shows my "Rituals" or daily tasks on Thursday all I will see is red tasks instead of a bunch of red repeated tasks that I didn't check off.

By having each task on a different day repeating once a week and having the project in series, I can still achieve the end state of having the tasks show up the next week day without the mess of a bunch of repeated, due tasks in my perspectives.

I'm not trying to hold myself accountable with OF, but I do want OF to remind me what to do on the day that I look at it. Meaning, when I do finally look at OF on Thursday I can see that I still need to go for that walk tonight while seeing the red color to either a) give me a tinge of guilt because I didn't walk for the past few days or b) realize that I did the tasks and just didn't tick them off as completed.

What do we think?

Yea, didn't work. I had tasks popping up all over the place.

Suggestions?

If I'm understanding your request correctly, I think you want a single action, set to "repeat every 1 week". Next, use the inspector to restrict the action to M-F.

That should give you the behavior I think you're after. You'll only ever see one overdue copy of the action, and when you check it off, it'll automatically make itself due the following day, skipping Sat and Sun. (iCal's "custom" repeat type uses a similar setup for this type of repeating event, FWIW.)

Hope that helps!