The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 2! The Debut. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I don't see an RSVP link or button on the notice...is that required?

Hey folks....I'm not usually too talkative on these threads, but have been a longtime OmniFocus user, and am super excited about the event coming up this week!

We got an exclusive interview with Ken Case about the event & OmniFocus 2, and wanted to share it with everyone. Check it! - http://buff.ly/UzMuRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
We're not going to require you to sync through the Omni Sync Server if that's what you're asking. Just like Ken mentioned in the blog post announcing OmniPresence, if you want to run your own server and sync through that, OmniFocus will happily do so.

(In our experience, Bonjour can be fiddly and difficult to troubleshoot when it doesn't work as expected. For that reason, we recommend WebDAV sync for most customers, but we're not removing Bonjour support. If it works for your setup, OmniFocus 2 doesn't attempt to change that.)
I got similar news from your support folks (outstanding as always), and all I can say is:

Yay!

VERY glad to see that Bonjour is still going to be there (it works great as long as you don't fat finger the firewall settings and block the daemon!)

Running our own server also isn't permitted (our CIO doesn't like rogue apps running on the network, and there's other obstacles like not wanting to put personal info on company servers too). Trying to install WebDAV on our own laptops is rather painful to configure in a secure fashion (and far beyond the capability of most users).

Thanks again for Bonjour!

Plus 1 for livestream or video of the event !!!

Any one live blogging this ?

Sven Fechner said he's updating on twitter: @simplicitybliss

I don't use twitter. can anybody cut'n'paste Sven's report?
or anyone report on the interesting bits?

Omni - is there any indiction of when & where there'll be a video of the event? will you be posting it to your Vimeo feed?

tia

The size of the line was most impressive. Many pedestrians passing by asked what was going on. The gathering was very nice, and the food was good.

The new UI looks great (though I didn't see how perspectives work viz a viz the new sidebar, and was told by the project manager that it's still up in the air).

I was disappointed that other than UI changes (and I would include the forecast and review views as UI changes), no other features are planned for 2.0.

Then again, Omni doesn't have competition with software nearly as good as any of their offerings, so the slow pace of Mac feature iteration on OmniFocus and OmniOutliner is frustrating, but "fair" in some sense.

I do have a suggestion to the team, as far as UI issues go. I'd like to see "Perspective Groups". Right now, I'd love to be able to have a perspective group icon on my toolbar, and click on that to drop down a menu showing its constituent perspectives. It would de-clutter the UI, and make using multiple perspectives easier.

Thanks again for the nice event.

I think most software goes through evolutions rather than evolution.

If a software company decides to radically change the UI, it may upset a lot of users and they'll complain that the old model worked better.

But then if a software company just decides to do small evolutionary steps, some users will complain that it's not "revolutionary enough."

Take a look at Windows 8. It has a that new Metro tile interface that has a lot of old timers up in arms. People were moaning and groaning about the new Microsoft Office ribbon interface and would rather work with the older toolbar interface.

I'll be just happy to get some of the iPad UI into the Mac version.

This is still in beta stage anyways. There's still a lot of work left to do. Some things need to stay to bring a comfortable environment for existing users. Some things will need to change to open doors to new versions.

Besides, there's always version 2.5 lurking out there somewhere. :-O

Last edited by wilsonng; 2013-02-01 at 03:53 PM..