The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Version of OmniFocus Web Interface [Old Thread] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The fact that this is using AppScript makes me very hopeful that it would make sense to open source the existing code, even if the Omni folks don't want to end up supporting it themselves. I say that because Omni apps are known for being scriptable, so while this is all a bit of a hack (a web server running appscript talking to the running app qualifies as a hack in my book anyway) -- it's a hack that doesn't take a lot of [extra] effort to keep working.

I'm still piecing through the code, and it references a SQLite instance in the config files, but I don't see any Rails model objects. Maybe the developer can confirm or deny that SQLite is needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansays View Post
I also went through iui.css and changed all box-sizing references to -webkit-box-sizing. This fixes the funky behavior of the "add task" mode, where the input box sizes too wide and breaks the viewport constrictions.
I am guessing that "viewport constrictions" is programmer-speak for "I could never get the text selection loupe to come up", since that is finally fixed! (small dance of joy… :-)

THANK YOU!!!

That said, I guess this thread is now supposed to move over to "OmniFocus Extras", since I sincerely hope that your mods will remain an active item until the fabled iPhone SDK allows Omni to get into the iPhone directly…

Even if they're able to run the app on an iPhone (may that day come soon), I can imagine a web interface would still be useful for the teaming masses who have yet to buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansays View Post
Tweaked styling of sub-contexts

I rely heavily on nested contexts. For example, under my "Errands" context, I have sub-contexts for "East Village," "Soho," "Midtown," etc. This relationship breaks down in the MobileSafari interface, where everything is flattened.

I played around with a number of different ways to visually represent the hierarchy (indenting, prefixing with the parent context) and settled on a simple but effective solution: sub-contexts are given a lighter font weight. It sounds like such a minor adjustment, but for me it makes all the difference in the world.
…and for me as well. The next bit of magic I'd love to see you pull out of a hat (this is what you get for doing cool stuff ;-) would be some way to choose to NOT see a context that has no items (excepting, of course, empty parents of contexts that do have items).

While being able to turn this on/off within the interface would be VERY cool, even if this preference could be specified in the .plist that would be fine with me.

Thanks again,

J

Ok, I got the Rails webapp working... The main 'trick' is that the working directory has to be .../Web Interface, or the RAILS_HOME variable ends up not being set correctly. So, two steps:

1) cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/OmniFocus/Web\ Interface
2) ./script/server

If you've never done this before, this _won't_ work, you need to also edit Settings.plist, and minimally replace YOUR_PASSWORD and YOUR_USERNAME with the values you wish to use. None of the app is accessible without authenticating.

The bit about Settings there is a little too terse I realized, so here's more:

There's a file in the Web Interface zip that dansays posted called Settings.plist. It's located in the config directory underneath Web Interface, assuming you followed his instructions on installation.

If you edit that file (TextEdit works fine), you'll notice a number of key/string entries. Each of these is an environment variable that config/environment.rb needs present to set values that the rest of the app depends on. Actually, some of them appear not to be used, but the ones that are used are:

password -- set this to whatever password you want to use to access the app

user -- set this to whatever username you want to use to access the app

posix_path -- this must correspond to the path where OmniFocus.app lives. /Applications/OmniFocus.app is the default and should work for anyone who follows the default installation method.

The rest of the values seem to be unused, at least by ruby. That means hfs_path, port, and revision can be left alone I believe. Note that WEBrick by default starts up on port 3000, and if you want to change that there are other ways to do so, so the app will be running on port 3000 unless you configure it to run elsewhere.

Hey this is great - I finally got a chance to mess with the sneaky peek again, only to find out the web interface was dropped (which is my main selling point for the moment). Between the new version you guys posted, and how to get it to work again, it works great on my iphone. Thanks for working on this, and I hope you guys can get this packaged as a semi-official open source build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaldrop View Post
The fact that this is using AppScript makes me very hopeful that it would make sense to open source the existing code, even if the Omni folks don't want to end up supporting it themselves. I say that because Omni apps are known for being scriptable, so while this is all a bit of a hack (a web server running appscript talking to the running app qualifies as a hack in my book anyway) -- it's a hack that doesn't take a lot of [extra] effort to keep working.
Truly, a hack, but a fun one =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaldrop View Post
I'm still piecing through the code, and it references a SQLite instance in the config files, but I don't see any Rails model objects. Maybe the developer can confirm or deny that SQLite is needed?
That's just part of the template rails project that we didn't trim out. All the data is stored in OmniFocus with rb-appscript being used to get at it from rails.

I agree this is great, and it cool someone took the time to do it. What I would love, since I don't have an iphone, is for some brainy soul to do what needs to be done to get this thing working over https, so it's a bit more secure to check it remotely over wifi from my laptop or ipaq.

I also wish the pages rendered correctly in firefox, but I could live with the present rendering behavior if I could connect securely to the lists.

Being able to direct new tasks to a context when you enter them would also be cool. But isn't essential.

As it stands, it's barebones, but certainly gets the job done, except for the security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsinger View Post
I agree this is great, and it cool someone took the time to do it. What I would love, since I don't have an iphone, is for some brainy soul to do what needs to be done to get this thing working over https, so it's a bit more secure to check it remotely over wifi from my laptop or ipaq.

I also wish the pages rendered correctly in firefox, but I could live with the present rendering behavior if I could connect securely to the lists.

Being able to direct new tasks to a context when you enter them would also be cool. But isn't essential.
I'm not enough of a browser scripting guy to know how to get stuff rendering correctly in Firefox, but the rest of that is something I would like to see working as well, so it will probably happen sooner rather than later.

As a default implementation, my thinking was that if you're looking at a context, and hit Add, the item that you add should go to that context, not to the Inbox. Does anyone see a reason that wouldn't work? I'll have to figure out how to do that from the AppScript side, but I'd be surprised if it isn't just that easy.

As far as HTTPS goes, not something I've done with WEBrick since it's not usually used in production, but that is definitely something I've setup before with Apache and mongrel. Since MacOS comes with Apache and mongrel is just a rubygem away it's quite possible to take that approach, but I also see that WEBrick has some SSL configuration options, so I'll take a stab at enabling it there first. KISS.

James