The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Date Parsing: Natural Language, Relative Date Options Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I love entering dates since I discovered how OF gets them!

Sensitive dates in action row would be cool (tomorrow instead of 26.10.2007)

Gam

Hi,

Awesome date support.. very intuitive.. unfortunately my favorite "end of the week", "end of the month", "start/beginning of next month" are not (yet) supported.

BTW why not "in 3 days", "in two weeks", etc..

some things you can do with dates... if you haven't already found this.
t = today
tom = tomorrow
t+3 = today plus three days
mon thru sat = this coming day specified

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrei View Post
Hi,

Awesome date support.. very intuitive.. unfortunately my favorite "end of the week", "end of the month", "start/beginning of next month" are not (yet) supported.

BTW why not "in 3 days", "in two weeks", etc..

Please feel free to submit this as a feature request. And its something I'll keep in mind as we go along as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
What we decided was that the support that Apple has for entering dates is not so good, and also not localizable. So, for instance, "aujourd'huis" would do nothing for you, while "today" would be working out well for the english speakers.
Well, even in a properly-localized system, "aujourd'huis" should still do nothing as the word does not contain an 's'. :)

I know. Nobody likes the spelling police. I just had to say something though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Well, even in a properly-localized system, "aujourd'huis" should still do nothing as the word does not contain an 's'. :)

I know. Nobody likes the spelling police. I just had to say something though.
Fixed.

I was happy to remember that much from high school, when I got through most tests by covering my arm with notes. Also, "Je vais a la Bibliotheque."

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
Please feel free to submit this as a feature request. And its something I'll keep in mind as we go along as well.
Along the same lines (I hope this hasn't come up before, the forums are getting a bit unwieldy to search these days), I think if I type "feb 1" while here in November, that it should probably figure out that I mean Feb 1, 2008, not Feb 1, 2007. In fact, anything more than a couple weeks old should get that treatment.

Just a thought.

I recently filed an enhancement request asking for exactly this. Dates which are ambiguous should be the next upcoming one, not the past. Might as well have "Feb 1" mean 1993 otherwise.

If I enter "Feb 1" and mean "Feb 1 2007", I'll do the extra work of correcting it when OF says "2008"; I can live with that.

Likewise, typing in "Next Friday" should normally mean the Friday of next week (ie, not this Friday, but the next Friday). Right now, it does the same thing as just typing in "Friday" so there's really no point.

Just to be clear with an example: Today is Wednesday, November 21. If I type in "Friday" the date field should be 11/23/07. If I type in "next Friday" it should be 11/30/07. Right now, both phrases result in the same date, which doesn't make as much sense.

I could see how things like "Next Monday" might get confusing, since they span different weeks by most people's calendars (ie, in the above example many people would consider 11/26/07 to be "next Monday" regardless), but I'm still inclined to think that "next" should always mean "the one after the coming one" since it's fairly rare in a GTD system to enter dates in the past :)

jdh-
To me, "next Friday" means "the next Friday that is going to come." So, you're right, "Friday" and "next Friday" do mean the same. I don't have OF yet, but maybe try the phrase "Friday after next." Might work!