The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus with 550 zip Files Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi

I'm syncing between Mac, iPhone and iPad. That's a great feature, it works fine.

My Omnifocus File has more then 550 Zip-Files inside. I can't say since when this occurs (so many zip), but for a while Omnifocus has removed or compressed it from time to time by it self.

Any tips to resolve this; maybe the starting up process on iPad would be a little be faster.

Greatings
Hermann

You may have the same problem I had - because I tried using the iPhone version on my iPad, the iPad now counts as two separate clients. If any single client hasn't been synced recently, the number of Zip files explodes.

If you go to your Mac version, go to Preferences > Sync > Show Clients, you should be able to see if the iPhone version on your iPad is registered. If so, remove it, sync all your devices, and all should be fine again.

I have 834 zip files on mine. I went on my Mac last night, removed the old iPhone client, made sure my Mac, iPad, and existing iPhone clients were all active correctly and recently sync'ed on the Mac and then did a sync of my Mac client. I then waited the required hour (+10m to be sure) and did a re-sync of the Mac to compact the database. Then did a sync of the other two and the zip file count did not go down. I repeated the process twice but still the same outcome. Decided to try it again today......

Ok - here are my pre sync stats on my iPad: 68 projects, 454 actions, 825 zip files.

Now I will start the process.

Last edited by atreinke; 2010-08-01 at 04:59 AM..

--> howiem
Thanks for your explanation. When I arrive at home, I will try this way.

Greetings, Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreinke View Post
... 454 actions, 825 zip files.

I always find it a bit freaky that you can have waaaaay more zip files than you have actions, but then I suppose it's all kinda transaction-based.

I don't know how practical it would be from Omni's side, but when I'm done reviewing on the Mac, it'd be great to be able to say "Right, this version of my database here is now the up to date one", so OF could just upload that to the server and discard everything else.

Don't know how well it would cope if you failed to sync one of your devices before making loads of changes, though.

It'd be nice to be able to reduce your whole database to 1 zip file though :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiem View Post
I always find it a bit freaky that you can have waaaaay more zip files than you have actions, but then I suppose it's all kinda transaction-based.

I don't know how practical it would be from Omni's side, but when I'm done reviewing on the Mac, it'd be great to be able to say "Right, this version of my database here is now the up to date one", so OF could just upload that to the server and discard everything else.

Don't know how well it would cope if you failed to sync one of your devices before making loads of changes, though.

It'd be nice to be able to reduce your whole database to 1 zip file though :)
--> howiem

Your way was exactly the solution. Thanks a lot.

Quote:
I have 834 zip files on mine. I went on my Mac last night, removed the old iPhone client, made sure my Mac, iPad, and existing iPhone clients were all active correctly and recently sync'ed on the Mac and then did a sync of my Mac client. I then waited the required hour (+10m to be sure) and did a re-sync of the Mac to compact the database. Then did a sync of the other two and the zip file count did not go down. I repeated the process twice but still the same outcome. Decided to try it again today......

Ok - here are my pre sync stats on my iPad: 68 projects, 454 actions, 825 zip files.

Now I will start the process.
Ok, 64 minutes has gone by, I did a re-sync of the desktop OF on my Mac, then did a sync of my iPad and there was no change. I must be doing something wrong.

Quote:
Ok, 64 minutes has gone by, I did a re-sync of the desktop OF on my Mac, then did a sync of my iPad and there was no change. I must be doing something wrong.
On the desktop, under sync preferences, show the client list. How many clients do you have? According to the list, how recently were they all synced?

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiem View Post
1 change, 1 zip file, for the most part. If you change multiple things simultaneously (select a bunch of items, bring up the inspector, change a date, for example), then all the transactions from that change will go in the same zip file. Changes include things that you do, like marking something complete or editing the name, and also things that OmniFocus does, like transitioning an action from pending to available, or available to overdue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
On the desktop, under sync preferences, show the client list. How many clients do you have? According to the list, how recently were they all synced?
I checked this yesterday to make sure, but did it again before I tried this last time this morning. I have 3 clients - Mac, iPhone and iPad. I did a sync of all three with the Mac being the last once to sync. Then waited a little over an hour and did a sync with the Mac again, then the iPad. No change.

I went through the entire process again (after checking the sync clients again to be sure) at 10:15 - 10:20 this morning. Then I left all 3 devices alone in sleep mode until 12:50 pm. I then did a sync with the Mac, and then with the iPad - still no change, 824 zip files. Ok, to be honest the zip file count did go down by 1 from 825....