The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Bonjour sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unable to sync database with server (bonjour) [SOLVED (& Feat. Req. Added)] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Ken,

I have the same problem (Unable to find sync server) but the solutions you suggested have not worked for me.
I am using a Macbook Pro 2Ghz w Tiger 10.5.7 with Omnifocus 1.6.1 and I have just updated to Omnifocus for iPhone v1.5.
I have synced reliably in the past with MobileMe but have been trying for the past few months to sync with Bonjour with very mixed results. Every once in a blue moon I can get the sync to work (usually by resetting the database) and then nothing for ages. Eg just today I tried again and got my iPhone to sync but then when I did a test "change and sync" from my mac it could not locate the sync server it had found about 30 seconds ago.

I have tried sharing sync settings and sending sync settings from my Mac to the iPhone. I am not leaving the wireless network in between successful and un-successful sync attemtps so cannot understand why it's not working.

On a related note can you tell me how to find the Omnifocus database on my mac and where it should be located? (I am guessing it should live in the Username/documents/Omnifocus server folder, is this correct?).

Cheers,
patrick

I just now got the sync working one more time after 45 minutes of frustration by deleting the existing database on the iPhone quitting OF on Mac and re-starting. I expect the syncing nightmare will continue but if now I will post an update

Sure enough 2 minutes and one new action on OF on the mac later and the iPhone won't sync. "UNable to find sync server". Arggggh!@

Sorry for the trouble this is causing, Patrick! If you look at the "Creating a computer-to-computer network" page in Mac help, and then use those steps to connect your iPhone and your Mac, is OmniFocus able to sync? (Please quit and restart both copies of OmniFocus after setting up the ad-hoc wireless network, and then try the sync.)

That will help us isolate problems caused by some misconfiguration in either copy of OmniFocus (if the problem persists) from problems caused due to the configuration of the larger wireless network (if it doesn't).

Once we have a better idea of where the problem resides, we can suggest possible solutions.

Just thought I'd quickly answer this side question…

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFallon View Post
On a related note can you tell me how to find the Omnifocus database on my mac and where it should be located?
You can Command-Click on the title of any document window to show where that document is located. (Select one of the parent folders in the resulting popup if you'd like to open that folder in the Finder.)

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your help and sorry for the slow reply to your reply! Work has been flat out...
In the past I was able to fix the sync issue by creating my own network between the iPhone and my mac but then for ages nothing. I tried this method a week or two ago and nothing but just now it has worked. Interestingly it was showing "no WIFI connection" on the iPhone but when I clicked on "Set up sync - manually" it synced.
After that I reset the connection to normal wireless, changed the Wifi settings on the iPhone accordingly and it tired to sync but so far hasn't worked - several minutes and counting. Any suggestions?

PS I just tried the computer to computer network again and this time it's not working. FYI it still shows "no Wifi connection" even though the iPhone is connected to my mac, but unlike last time when I click on "Set up sync - manually" it gives me the very familiar "unable to find sync server" error message.

Fiftyith time lucky - just got it to sync on the normal wireless network, but syncing is so unpredictable I have no confidence the problem is solved. Errors keep happening with no changes to set-up.

Last edited by PatrickFallon; 2009-07-02 at 08:12 PM..

I just posted the following in the iPhone forums:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...91&postcount=4

Perhaps a lot of folks are seeing the sync problem due to (regular) use of a VPN?

Anyway, in case my observations (at link above) add anything to this discussion, thought I'd mention it.

~ Brad

Good catch, brad!

Yes, if the network configuration changes, like a VPN is activated/deactivated, or if your Mac moves from one wireless network to another - you'll need to restart OmniFocus on the Mac for it to pick up that change.

So Patrick, if you quit OmniFocus, switching the Mac from the "normal" wireless to the device-to-device connection (or vice versa), and restart OmniFocus, does the sync succeed at that point?

Thanks Ken, that's a very useful tip. Cheers! Patrick

Hi Brian, I have just tested this theory by switching wireless networks on my Mac (there are 2 wireless networks at my house), restarting OF on the mac and trying to sync. The sync failed, error message on iPhone was "Unable to syunc database with server". I tried syncing 8 or 10 times with no joy. (I was attempting to sync by pushing the sync symbol on OF for iPhone rather than sending settings from the Mac or resetting the database).
When I switched back to the original wireless network (without quitting OF on Mac) the sync worked first time. I know software often has foibles/glitches, and while I don't claim to be an IT expert, I am very used to syncing phones, macs, networking etc and syncing between the iPhone and OF seems to be very unreliable. To date I have recorded more failed than successful sync attempts and I've been trying like hell to figure out what's going wrong. Thanks for all your help though. Patrick