The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Location based Alerts? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I recently upgraded to the iPhone 3g with the intent of fully integrating all my analog life into a true powerful digital device.

I realized that right now at least the iPhone is not it. The inability to run apps in the background is a true hindrance! I previously had a Treo and hated that phone - it would not sync with my online life, speed was slow etc. However it did allow me to set an alert (date and time) on a task or todo item which was excellent.

I need this ability again! I also was hoping that with Omnifocus being Location Aware I would be able to create specific tasks that would alert me when I was near a location.

Example:
Bar-B-Q on Saturday needs steaks.
Set Due date as Friday
Set task - "buy steaks" with project being Bar-B-Q
Set my Context to be "Butcher"

So ideally I would get an Alert on friday or X time before fridays due date, as well as in the scenario where I am walking through the market and I am near the butcher - because I am forgetful and doing a ton of things I forget that I need steaks, but Omnifocus knows where I am and alerts me to my location and task associated.

See how cool this could be?!

Will something like this be possible with the PNS (push Notification Service) that Apple is releasing versus a true background processes system?

Thanks!

We agree it would be cool. We don't know yet what Push will give us.

Cool but it'd eat *lots* of battery (which we all know the iPhone doesn't have) if the GPS would be active at alla times.

As an example: The day I got my iPhone I charged the battery and went on a car ride for some 40 minutes with the Maps application active. When I arrived at my destination the battery was down to approx 50%. So I'd say it would be a very cool feature but useless in practice given the current iPhone battery/energy consumption specs.

I too would love this. Perhaps it could be made to work if it only sampled your location every so often or gave an alert if things were 'near enough'; i.e. don't just think of the case where you would walk or drive past an interesting point but think about where you're stationary (at work, in a café etc) and could be prompted.

Either that or get some nuclear powered batteries.