The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Loading Bar (Similar To Safari) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This may be available as a hidden preference of some sort...is it possible to have a loading bar in the address field a la Safari? If not, then file this under feature request :)

Previous versions of OmniWeb (like, late-'90s versions) had a loading bar in the address field very like Safari's. We took it out in part because there's no way for the browser to know how much stuff it's going to have to load, especially in these days of iframes and javascript and so on, so there's no way for it to give actual information to the user --- it's just a misleading display...

Hmmm...sounds fair enough. Now that you mention it, I don't really see much of a loading bar anywhere. Guess I'm just used to having it in so many browsers.

I have switched from Safari only recently and was going to request that feature as well. Hm, your point makes a lot of sense.

However, I frequently overlook the small spinning wheel next to the URL field. A more eye-catching feedback mechanism would be nice.

Best regards,
/Markus.

The "loading x of x items" at bottom makes more sense to user these days IMHO.

It is really funny to hear the status in addressbar is also a Omniweb invented feature.

Note, if you click the spinning status wheel it will open the activity monitor and show you exactly what is being downloaded (or has stalled).

I sure am glad to see this thread going better than a previous, less than 1337 thread on it:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=1336

Another thing we did once is have a little row of bubbles to indicate loading, one bubble per resource. They turned green as the resource loaded (or other colors depending on the state of that resource), and new bubbles were added to the row as new resources were discovered/requested. The only real problem with that was that some pages have hundreds of resources, and the display would turn into a crowded jumble...

I don't work on OmniWeb these days, but I remember a lot of things we tried and discarded :)

I agree, that I think the activity progress on toolbar is... not smart way. If they unite, like Safari, great.