The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contexts - A Disbeliever, Believes. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know the topic of contexts is well-covered but I thought I would share my experience with the hopes that some might benefit.

I have struggled with contexts since the day I started using Omnifocus a few years ago in college. I got the concept and made many futile attempts to assign things to "laptop" or "library" or "apartment" but once tasks were assigned to a context, I rarely switched over to the context perspective. To me, Omnifocus was basically becoming a fancy Outlook Task Manager. It wasn't until I changed my definition of contexts that I realized the full potential of Omnifocus for me personally.

After much thought, I realized that the main thing that limited my ability to accomplish tasks was mainly my motivation/state of mind. Not what tools I had available to me at the time. Not only are the tools I need available nearly constantly, I know what the tools are based on the task and there are often multiple tools available to complete a single task. Therefore, the "where I am" and "what I have" concept didn't provide me with much benefit.

Instead, I have implemented contexts that match my current state of mind and motivation (with the exception of some actual location specific items like @grocery store). I have found that this method allows me to get much more done because no matter what my motivation level is, I can find a task to complete. Once I de-coupled contexts from a specific "tool" or "resource", contexts took on a whole new meaning for me. As an example, I can be sitting at my computer while hitting a low during the day so pick a task from @low hanging fruit or @low energy. While doing one of these tasks, my energy level/focus might come back up so I can switch to @Focused. This new task might be at the computer or it might not. For me it doesn't matter. The important thing is that the task will match my mental state and therefore I will complete it to the best of my ability. I will no longer beat myself into performing 10 tasks just because I am at my computer. This method allows me to be dynamic which makes it feel like the system adapts to me as opposed to the other way around.

Here is a break down of what I have:

@Low Focus
--@Inactive
--@Active
This context usually covers chores, things that require very little mental effort or focus. This is where most chores reside.

@Focused
--@Research
--@Computer
--@Reading
This context obviously is for when I am very focused. I put things here that I really want to absorb when I read, or concepts that I must understand, or PLC code that I must write.

@Motivated
For me, this context usually involves all things physical, mountain biking, running, hiking. When I am feeling lazy and want to change it, this is the context I can go to.

@Low Hanging Fruit
This context is one that requires medium effort and focus. I go here when I have stalled out but want to maintain progress. These are mundane things

@Fullfilment
This context is where I put things like "Read The News" or "Watch The Tree of Life". These are things that I usually use to relax but I don't want to turn my mind off for.

@Refocus
I use this context when I am feeling a bit lost or overwhelmed. Here, I can find tasks like "review omnifocus" or "go for a walk".

@Talk
I use this context for all forms of communication whether it be email, phone, in person, or text. I don't care how I communicate it, I just know I need to talk.

@Locations
These contexts will be used in the more traditional sense. I will use these for things like @grocery store, @bank, etc....

Hopefully this helps another disbeliever like me :)

Best,

Andy

Last edited by Ajthor; 2011-10-25 at 06:25 PM..

Nice information! Thank you. I follow a similar pattern with a break-down as ...

@ (Location specific)

☼ (Outcome/Energy specific)

➤ (Personnel specific)

If you use Special Characters (Edit : Special Characters), they translate directly to the iPhone/iPod platform. The smiley face ☺ is especially neat to carry over. See this post http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=22277 for details.

--
JJW

Great post, Andy - thanks! (And welcome to the forums!)

Great ideas here, thanks for sharing