The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backup location Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In Omni Outliner when I create a new outline and save the file, I am asked for a name and location. When I make a change the file is updated and from what I read, the app is making a backup copy to the file. In the help file there is an indication that you can configure OO to create a backup but I do not see that option in the Preferences. As far as I can tell there is only 1 file which contains the latest version with up to the minute additions.

I have started using OmniFocus and see from the post there that the documentation and help files are not up to date. In OmniFocus, I can configure the app to do backups and specify where they go.

I am assuming if I want a backup copy of OO files I have to back them up manually. Is that correct?

The backups that OmniOutliner is doing are only of your unsaved documents. So, if you set it to make a backup every 5 minutes, and at 8 AM you open a document and make some changes, at 8:05 AM, if you have not saved the document, OmniOutliner will squirrel away a copy of the document as it currently is in your open window, so that if something untoward happens at 8:06 AM (your computer crashes, for example), you can recover those changes. OmniOutliner will notice that there is a more recent backup file when you open the document again and ask if you want to recover those changes. You'll see the backup copy of the file as <filename> (Autosaved).oo3 in the directory where the document lives. When you save your changes, the autosave file is removed.

So, yes, OmniOutliner is not making long-term backups of your documents, only temporary backups of your unsaved changes, and you still need to use Time Machine, SuperDuper!, CrashPlan, or whatever backup solution works best for you to keep backups of your documents.

The behavior of backups in OmniOutliner depends on what OS you're using. The help files describe the pre-10.7 behavior. On 10.7 and 10.8, we use Apple's Versions ability to autosave for you and store past versions of the document. But, has whpalmer4 suggests, if you want actual backup copies of your files, you will need to use Time Machine or some other backup system.

Thanks both of you for the quick answer. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing something...