The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bookmarks question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am a long time Omniweb user and generally speaking I am pretty happy, I am however looking to be able to export my bookmarks. I carry a USB theumbdrve with portable Camino and/or portable FireFox on it to be able to work at the labs at school and still have my bookmarks (no portable Omniweb as far as I know).

Is there any way to do this? I have m Omniweb bookmarks backed up to my .mac account but I cannot get those to wok elsewhere. I have also tried to go grab the bookmarks file but that has not worked very well.

What am I doing wrong or is it even possible?

Kevin

Camino 1.0.3 is able to import OmniWeb 5 bookmarks. In Camino go to the File>Import Bookmarks... menu and select OmniWeb 5 from the menu and import. I assume that the Camino bookmarks files are compatible with Firefox, so you should just be able to copy them between profiles if you prefer to use Firefox over Camino.

Btw, what happens if you just install OmniWeb on the thumb drive - you should be able to run it from there (however, the support files will be created in the ~/Library/ folder on the hard drive of your work machine so this might not be appropriate).

I know its been a looong time since that last post. I'm using OW 5.7 and loving it and STILL no way to export bookmarks. No offense but that is a real pain in the butt sometimes.

Anyone working on a app to do this?

Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixeyk View Post
I know its been a looong time since that last post. I'm using OW 5.7 and loving it and STILL no way to export bookmarks. No offense but that is a real pain in the butt sometimes.

Anyone working on a app to do this?

Just curious.
BookIt works flawlessly for this, and it's been around for years.

Cool, just what I was looking for I'll give it a try. I have also thought of moving my bookmarks to del.icio.us but I am not so hot on that idea.

Thank you.

OmniWeb's bookmarks file is in HTML format. You can just copy it over to your thumb drive. Make an automator action to handle it and you'll be in excellent shape.

Just note that there are two bookmark files: One for your bookmarks menu, and another for your (toolbar) favorites.