The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Action Groups counted as "Due" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi All,

Sorry if this was already asked but wasn't sure of the right terms to search for (didn't come up with anything)...anyways, I was wondering if there's a way to prevent a parent action group from being counted as a remaining task to complete.

Ex:
Project: Create e-commerce site

Actions:
[] Find Host
-->[] PCI Compliant
-->[] Unlimited hosts
[] Find e-commerce app

If the due dates for all of them are today, it would say I have 4 things to finish. Shouldn't it be just 3 because "Find Host" would be complete once the two children actions are completed?

Thanks

Yeah, this has been bothering me as well. I've submitted feedback to that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFill View Post
Actions:
[] Find Host
-->[] PCI Compliant
-->[] Unlimited hosts
[] Find e-commerce app

If the due dates for all of them are today, it would say I have 4 things to finish. Shouldn't it be just 3 because "Find Host" would be complete once the two children actions are completed?
That's a point over which reasonable people might disagree. Particularly if you don't have the "when completing the last item mark the project or group complete" option set for that "Find Host" action group...it may simply be that you've completed all the actions that you've so far thought to include.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
That's a point over which reasonable people might disagree. Particularly if you don't have the "when completing the last item mark the project or group complete" option set for that "Find Host" action group...it may simply be that you've completed all the actions that you've so far thought to include.
I knew there was a setting related to that somewhere! So, it seems reasonable that if an action group is set to complete when the last item is completed, then the group should not count as a separate "due" item. Currently (OF 1.6.1 sneaky peak) the action group does count in either case.

Send in your feature request with Help->Send Feedback or email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com.

I agree that the current behavior does inflate the count a bit, but if you have that option checked on the action group or project, it will decrement the count by 2 when you check off the final item. Also, it appears (at least from a cursory glance at my database) that action groups and projects are not counted in the counts in Context mode, only the actions themselves. I spend my time in Project mode predominantly on planning new projects or doing my reviews, and neither of those make much, if any, use of the overdue/due soon count. Your mileage may vary, of course.