The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Selecting dates takes too many presses Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I don't know if anybody else has the same issue as I do, but would love to hear ideas.

When I do my review, which I believe works even better on the iPad than on the Mac, I find some difficulty changing dates.

I have to click on the date field,
Click on 'Today'
Click on the date field
Click on days or weeks forward.

If I want to move an action to next weekend, say Saturday (six days away from when I did this yesterday), I have to get the date to today, then hit '1 week', then go BACK into the date field, then slide the spinner back a day.

My suggestion would be to expand the buttons on the bottom of the Start and Due fields, so that there is a central 'Today' button, then to the left are (minus) one day and one week, then to the right are the current one day, one week, and one month buttons. This way, one could easily catch up on overdue items by bringing the date to today with one click, then move it into the future easily.

This would also make it much easier to distribute a large number of actions onto different days of the week, by clicking one week, then (minus) or (plus) one day at a time quickly. I would be very happy with this functionality, since I work in different locations on different days, with different resources and different abilities to get things done.

Comments?

Cheers!

No need to tap on Today at all in your examples, so far as I can see...if you are entering a new date, just use the +1 buttons to quickly get in the neighborhood, and the spinners if needed to go back (though I usually just tap the +1 day button a few times once I'm within a week). If you are adjusting an old date (now in the past), tap the (x) button and you've got a clean slate.

If I am working on some overdue dates, that still means some extra presses:

To get the date to today, I can press the 'x' to clear the box, then still have to press the date field, press 'Today', and press the date field again to close the date picker. That's four presses instead of one.

At least a simple 'Today' button under the date field would simplify this process.

Second, I might suggest to the folks at Omni that the 'Due' field automatically update whenever the 'Start' field is moved forward of the 'Due' field. I don't believe there is a situation where one needs 'Due' after 'Start'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawxray View Post
To get the date to today, I can press the 'x' to clear the box, then still have to press the date field, press 'Today', and press the date field again to close the date picker. That's four presses instead of
Should only be 3. You don't have to hit the x first. Just tap the text. So it'd be: text, today, somewhere outside to close.

Yes, three presses.

But I would think 'Today' is a very popular choice. I find myself in the morning changing several items either past or future to today. Three times the presses is sorta frustrating...