The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

ad block in OmniWeb Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Randroid
Was there something objectionable about something else on the list?
For the record, my guess is that the problematic entries in the black list were the ones that started with an asterisk (*): the asterisk indicates that you can repeat the previous character any number of times, but there weren't any previous characters to repeat.

I assume the asterisk was meant as a wildcard, as you might use it in file name pattern matching? To achieve that sort of wildcard with a regular expression, you would use ".*": the dot (.) will match any character, and the asterisk (*) will repeat any number of times.

But there's no need to start or end a regular expression in OmniWeb with ".*", because it already looks for the expression anywhere in the URL. (If you want to anchor the expression to the beginning or end, you can use "^" or "$".)

So, change expressions like "*/ads/*" to be "/ads/" and you should be all set.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Ken Case; 2006-04-28 at 02:00 PM..

Can someone block the image at the top of this site? http://www.flashback.info/
I click filter image, but no difference. Reload, no difference, Restart program, no difference
Other images I have tried has been blocked

I just tried blocking the large banner at the top, worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjoppe
Can someone block the image at the top of this site? http://www.flashback.info/
I click filter image, but no difference. Reload, no difference, Restart program, no difference
Other images I have tried has been blocked
I would take a look at the earlier posts to this thread. You might have a item in your blacklist that is breaking things. If you've manually entered in anything to the black list, try removing it and see if the problem continues.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an list(online) of most common ad-servers
stored in OW's ad-block style? This would be helpful for much OW-users I guess.

Sorry guys, I really want to love this browser, but with the tabbing problems already mentioned in a previous thread, and the problems I'm now having with ad blocking and flash, I don't think I can.

Pages that I regularly view in Camino with few or no ads, render in OW with ads all over them that I never even knew existed until now. The flash ads are the worst, ruining the appearing of a page, and distracting the eye. Frankly, I can't be bothered adjusting ad blocking prefs for each of these pages, managing white and black lists, and so on. Doing it globally just blocks things that I do want to see, and Camino already does what I want with just the CamiTools pref pane.

Jan's suggestion above, would be what would work for me.

Its a shame because there's a lot here that is cool, and that I would use often, but these two things are showstoppers for me, especially when there's a price tag attached.

Hopefully these are niggles which will be ironed out by the time it comes out of beta, and I look forward to having another go then :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedj
Pages that I regularly view in Camino with few or no ads, render in OW with ads all over them
It would be cool if you posted an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
It would be cool if you posted an example.
Oops, of course, sorry...:o

TUAW
Mininova
Macworld

Well, I just setup Camino clean and it has way more ads than OW does after 30 seconds of configuring, at least with the TUAW site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Well, I just setup Camino clean and it has way more ads than OW does after 30 seconds of configuring, at least with the TUAW site.
Fine, maybe you are more experienced than me at this kind of thing, I don't know. Maybe CamiTools is doing the job for me, again I don't know.

What I do know is that I have spent two days using OW as my default browser, and still have not been able to get the ad block settings the way I want them, and I'm now out of patience with it. Camino is doing what I want, and although I can't remember how long I spent setting it up, I can guarantee you it was nowhere near two days, and probably closer to two minutes otherwise I would doubtless have run out of patience with that too.

I'm not trying to get into a competition about which browser is better here (as I already said, there are things about OW which I love), I'm just sharing my experience as an end-user, for whatever that's worth. If this is just going to turn into a "my browser's better than your browser" debate, then lets leave it there.

Last edited by cjedj; 2006-07-21 at 09:34 AM..