The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Moving Images to desktop. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there, I recently bought and started using Omniweb, and so far love it... but there is something that is driving me to the point of throwing the program off my mac and wishing I never bought the app in the first place.

One thing I loved in safari, or firefox, or whichever other browser I used before was the fact that I didn't have to copy/paste.

If I saw an image, I simply held my finger on my mouse button and dragged the image to the desktop and bang. There it is in jpg format on my desktop, simply done.

With Omniweb I get a HTML file. I open my gmail account, open an email with images, select download image... and it doesn't download. It opens another window, with the images there... and I still can't drag them onto my desktop.

Now maybe this is purely my fault and I am missing something in the preferences. Please tell me, as I am really enjoying omni... but it's the little things guys. And this little thing is enough to lose a repeat customer.

Paul

I totally agree with the above post.

That is a feature of Safari I use constantly. It is one of the reasons I love OS X so much and to not have it work in my main browser is killing me!

I use it all the time from setting my desktop picture (simply dragging and dropping the image into System Prefs) to saving attachments in GMail to dragging images directly to Photoshop in the dock when I'm doing web design. It's something I use constantly and is extremely missed in Omniweb.

In fact it's probably the only thing keeping me from totally making the leap to Omniweb and stopping my use of Safari altogether.

Please Omnigroup, fix this! It's a glaring issue with your otherwise fantastic browser!

You can drag images (to the Desktop or wherever) by holding down Shift while you drag. Otherwise, if the image links to another page OmniWeb will drag the link (just as it does with text which links to another page).

(If the image doesn't link anywhere, then you can drag without holding Shift—but there aren't a lot of unlinked images on the web these days!)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Ken Case; 2008-02-26 at 06:29 AM..

Ken - why can't this be a preference you can toggle? Similar to how Function keys are handled on Macbooks?

There, the default is that the keys control the printed functions (e.g. brightness) and you hold FN to make them act as normal F-keys. But there is a preference to reverse this behavior.

I mostly want to drag images, not their links. So I could change the default to have drag copy the image and shift-drag copies the link. Others could leave it as it is, or toggle behavior as suits the task at hand.

(FWIW, I'd take this as even a "hidden" pref)

Hi Ken,

given the number of times this comes up, does this warrant being a feature that people could toggle the settings for (like you can for labels/points on lines in OmniGraffle)?

Edit: Oops, should have refreshed the page before posting... sorry, missed Handycam's earlier post, but we obviously were thinking alike.

Haha I guess I should dig a bit deeper before I post! I didn't know shift-dragging would do the trick.

However, I still do use this feature constantly and agree with the above posters that it'd be nice to have a toggle in the settings to choose between the default being dragging a link and dragging an image. That'd make my life much easier.

Check the release notes for today's sneaky peek build…

Many thanks!!

DragPrefersImagesOverLinks. What's the syntax to apply/remove this?

THANK YOU!!

It's fantastic to have the developers actually look at these things and make requested feature changes!

I figured it out:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 DragPrefersImagesOverLinks -bool true

This will enable dragging images to the desktop even if they're linked.

I'm so happy I can hardly stand it :-)