The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Visio Import Error Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Everyone,

Read a Mac blog today and was pleasantly surprised to learn about OmniGraffle Pro's Visio Import/Export capabilities in v5. Downloaded this morning to evaluate and of course the first thing I went to test is importing a Visio VSD into OmniGraffle. I get the following error:

The Document "xxxxxx" could not be opened. Illegal Seek.

I took the same VSD in Visio and saved as a VDX (Visio XML Document). When I try opening this in OmniGraffle, I don't get an error but it shows up as an empty document.

Is this working for others? Maybe there's a step I'm missing in the process.

Thanks,

Terry

I can't think of any steps you might be missing, but you might try testing with another file just to see if it's something specific about this particular file that isn't working.

Importing VSD files is a new feature, and while we've tested it with hundreds of documents I know that's just a drop in the bucket compared to all the possible Visio documents out there—so it's possible the problem is caused by a flaw in our new code. If you're able to send us a test document that fails for you, that would help us track down and solve the problem!

To send us a document, just choose Send Feedback from the Help menu, and attach the test file you're having difficulty importing. Thanks!

I'm also getting an error when attempting to open certain visio binary documents:

The document “su2002-0314.vsd” could not be opened. Can not open OLE Document

I understand that certain documents may contain OLE objects which Omnigraffle won't understand, and I've even seen this and the error message displayed, which is different than above.

This error however, is more cryptic. Will send an example document along to support.

My VSD documents (saved with Visio 2007 Standard) have (so far) all opened quite well in OmniGraffle 5 Pro. The only "issue" so far s with embedded OLE objects, but OmniGraffle 5 Pro handles these as well as they can. So far I'm very pleased with OmniGraffle 5 Pro's Visio import capability.